Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: boot up detection for linux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users boot up detection for linux Post 302252779 by benefactr on Thursday 30th of October 2008 09:53:07 AM
Old 10-30-2008
boot up detection for linux

Hello,
I was wondering is there a specific process I could look for to tell if my suse linux machine is still booting up. I have a monitor process and it's detecting problems with processes because I think the machine is still booting up and has yet to start everything up. Thanks for any help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XP/Linux dual boot

Does anyone have any idea how I can manage an XP/Linux dual boot (I want to use debian), I can't find anything about it on the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XDC_Wolf
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

linux will not boot, boot to grub prompt

my redhat 9 will not boot. We had a power failure and when the power came back, my redhat linux will not boot. The machine come up to grub prompt. I tried the following from grub prompt root (hd0, then press tab key partition num:0 filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x83... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hassan2
7 Replies

3. Linux

boot cd linux HOWTO?

i have linux bootable cd. I want similar bootalbe cd with some chnage in the disk. i.e, some file from the old cd has to replaced in newer one. how do i do it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
3 Replies

4. Linux

linux 2.4 boot up sequence

I am running linux red hat and I need to know the command to view the boot up process.... (that is the driver initialization, drive mount, etc).... Does anyone know this command? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Franco
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux won't boot

I'm trying to install Fedora 9 on a Dell OptiPlex GX300 machine. The instalation runs properly, but when the computer restarts after the instalation, it simply won't boot, like there's no OS installed. I tried diffrent Linux distributions, but nothing works. This are the partitions, maybe it's... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: teis
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need bash script Intrusion Detection on Linux

Hello all I have a script but I failed on the creation of Script is any is carried out in the shell sends the owner of the server, the message is has been implemented For example, functioned as a detection system intruders but in smaller Is it possible to help if you allow I want the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: x-zer0
4 Replies

7. Programming

Parallel Processing Detection and Program Return Value Detection

Hey, for the purpose of a research project I need to know if a specific type of parallel processing is being utilized by any user-run programs. Is there a way to detect whether a program either returns a value to another program at the end of execution, or just utilizes any form of parallel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azar.zorn
4 Replies

8. News, Links, Events and Announcements

MS to block linux boot

Microsoft to stop Linux, older Windows, from running on Windows 8 PCs | ZDNet isn't that deserve an anti trust investigation? MS monopoly is transfer into the hardware. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Linux Boot Process

Explain Linux Boot Process??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tejaschache
1 Replies
BOOTPARAMD(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     BOOTPARAMD(8)

NAME
bootparamd -- boot parameter server SYNOPSIS
bootparamd [-ds] [-r router] [-f file] DESCRIPTION
The bootparamd utility is a server process that provides information to diskless(8) clients necessary for booting. It consults the /etc/bootparams file. This version will allow the use of aliases on the hostname in the /etc/bootparams file. The returned hostname to the whoami request done by the booting client will be the name that appears in /etc/bootparams and not the canonical name. In this way you can keep the answer short enough so that machines that cannot handle long hostnames will not fail during boot. OPTIONS
-d Display the debugging information. -s Log the debugging information with syslog(3). -r router The default router (a machine or an IP-address). This defaults to the machine running the server. -f file The file to use as boot parameter file instead of /etc/bootparams. FILES
/etc/bootparams default boot parameter file EXAMPLES
When netbooting diskless SunOS/Xkernel SPARCstations the booted SunOS kernel also broadcasts to the all-0 address. The SunOS kernel hangs until it receives a reply. To accommodate this behaviour add an alias address that responds to an all-0 broadcast. So, add something like 'ifconfig xl0 192.168.200.254 netmask 255.255.255.255 broadcast 192.168.200.0 alias' on the relevant network interface on your bootparamd server. The alias address must of course be free for use. SEE ALSO
syslog(3), bootparams(5), diskless(8) AUTHORS
Written by Klas Heggemann <klas@nada.kth.se>. BUGS
You may find the syslog(3) loggings to be verbose. BSD
December 14, 2000 BSD