Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Unable to save my configurationsettings Post 302252661 by bakunin on Thursday 30th of October 2008 04:51:59 AM
Old 10-30-2008
Put whatever you want to have set into the file .kshrc in your $HOME directory. This file (don't forget to set the executable-bit) is executed every time a new shell is started by your user.

Btw. and for clarification: when issuing "set -o emacs" you do NOT leave the Korn shell, just change the way the commandline can be edited.

I hope this helps.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

save me!

Hi! can anyone tell me how to save a file from command line? Any help appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hufs375
2 Replies

2. Programming

cannot save file...

Hello! I have a problem: I compile some function, which must save file: ===================== // prog.cpp void save_file(){ FILE *fs = fopen("file.txt", "w"); if(!fs) cerr<< "cannot save"; fprintf(fs, "This is a text file."); fclose(fs) } ===================== If i compile it from... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to save files?

i just typed out a letter but want to hang on to it i typed it out in vi and was wondering how to save and exit from it? also how do you S&E from emacs since those are the two editors i mainly use any help would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiei
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

save

hi i would like someone to assist me to find out how i can Write a script called save which copies a file into a special directory, and another called recover which copies a file back out of the special directory. The user of the script should not be aware of the location of the special directory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swainaina
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't save crontab with vi

I edit crontab with vi editor, i delete the lines i wanted, but i can't save! i tried the :w, :wq, ZZ commands and it seems like vi is unfamiliar with it. any suggestions? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: idan_cn
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't save a file

There is a file A.lcf. I am updating the file and saving it . But as soon as I am logging off and then logging in I am finding that the updated changes are not there in the file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suchismitasuchi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save cURL verbose output to file or do it like browser "save as.."

hi there ! i have exactly the same problem like this guy here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/127668-getting-curl-output-verbose-file.html i am not able to save the curl verbose output.. the sollution in this thread (redirecting stderr to a file) does not work for me.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crabmeat
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to save changes to a file

is i want to sort or delete lines etc etc to a file, how do i save the changes. example i do sort file > file when i do cat file, all data is erased. thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save value from output of Corestat and save in a list for each core

I am trying to modify the "corestat v1.1" code which is in Perl.The typical output of this code is below: Core Utilization CoreId %Usr %Sys %Total ------ ----- ----- ------ 5 4.91 0.01 4.92 6 0.06 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zam_1234
0 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)