Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: fprintf
Top Forums Programming fprintf Post 302252022 by otheus on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 03:43:43 PM
Old 10-28-2008
That's a shortcut for the "gettext()" call. This call is used in UNIX internationalization, to allow messages to be translated into another locale other than the one it was written in. Essentially, some ".po" files contain maps from the native-language string into another translation, such as German. Then, if a user has selected german as her locale, for instance, LANG=de-de, then gettext call returns the German version of the string.

GNU has a nice page about explaining it: http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to write to file using fprintf in find command...

:D I once again am looking through the man pages and am still working on the find command to fully comprehend all its attributes.. i am a little stuck on a problem with how many options to -print there are and the only two I know how to use are printf and -print.. i can not make heads or tails of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect sprintf and fprintf bad use

Hello again, I don't know about regexp so I throw this question here: How can I detect files where, for example: sprintf (var1, "hello %s %s", sub1); The problem here is that we have 2 %s and only a variable. Or... the inverse: sprintf (var1, "hello %s %s", sub1, sub2, sub3,...subn); ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
2 Replies

3. Programming

fprintf() gives segmentation fault

Hi, I am using fprintf to write few strings toa file which has been opened in write mode. The syntax is as follows: printf("Testing 7A.\n"); fprintf(out_screen,"%s|%s|%s|%s|%s|\n",var1,var2,var3,var4,var5); printf("Testing 8.\n"); When I execute the code It prints "Testing 7A." then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fprintf issue

i had to send a mail an attachment which i got from find command. But i did not get mail but could see the following line in the logs "aliased to fprintf.c". Can someone help me to understand what does it mean?..As this issue is not occuring now, i could not replicate the problem now.Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jesu
1 Replies
GETTEXT(1)								GNU								GETTEXT(1)

NAME
gettext - translate message SYNOPSIS
gettext [OPTION] [[TEXTDOMAIN] MSGID] gettext [OPTION] -s [MSGID]... DESCRIPTION
The gettext program translates a natural language message into the user's language, by looking up the translation in a message catalog. Display native language translation of a textual message. -d, --domain=TEXTDOMAIN retrieve translated messages from TEXTDOMAIN -e enable expansion of some escape sequences -E (ignored for compatibility) -h, --help display this help and exit -n suppress trailing newline -V, --version display version information and exit [TEXTDOMAIN] MSGID retrieve translated message corresponding to MSGID from TEXTDOMAIN If the TEXTDOMAIN parameter is not given, the domain is determined from the environment variable TEXTDOMAIN. If the message catalog is not found in the regular directory, another location can be specified with the environment variable TEXTDOMAINDIR. When used with the -s option the program behaves like the `echo' command. But it does not simply copy its arguments to stdout. Instead those messages found in the selected catalog are translated. Standard search directory: /usr/share/locale AUTHOR
Written by Ulrich Drepper. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1995-1997, 2000-2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html> This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for gettext is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and gettext programs are properly installed at your site, the command info gettext should give you access to the complete manual. GNU gettext-runtime 0.18.1 June 2010 GETTEXT(1)