Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris User account management Sol10 Post 302251985 by gwhelan on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 01:33:44 PM
Old 10-28-2008
Hi FloridaBSD.

I'm actually looking for the security attributes for passwords such as password length, must have uppercase/lowercase letters etc?

Is all the settings just held in the /etc/default/passwd file?

I'm also looking to get information on when the user accounts where created. Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

HP-UX user management

Hello All, Does anyone know of any good utilities for user management/password management for HP-UX? I have 32 switchs (telephone) running HP-UX 10x and managing the users on them is becoming quite time consuming... Thanks Brian (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: breigner
1 Replies

2. AIX

User Management

Can someone suggest me any means of having a controlled way to user access ... basically we have a varied environment of people(users) logging in to AIX boxes ... either via 1) telnet ... 2) application 3) databse (SQL's) what we need to do is formalise this .. can someone help me with this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_149
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Root User Management

I am currently executing a Unix audit & would like some guidance on best practice for the management of root user access. The organisation is small, with an IT team of approx 25. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: conaloregan
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Centralised Account Management

Hi all. be gentle, its my first time :-) I seem to have had this isse dumped on me and could do with help/advice. We have several Solaris10 servers, authentication is done per server using the usual useradd and the passwd/group/shadow files. we're now at a point where we need some way of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boneyard
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between : Locked User Account & Disabled User Accounts in Linux ?

Thanks AVKlinux (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
3 Replies

6. Solaris

changing user password as root on LDAP client SOl10/u7

I'm fairly inexperienced with LDAP and DSEE so to build my skills I installed directory server in the global zone of my Sol 10/u7 machine and created a zone to use as a client. For some reason when I try to change a users password as root (in the client zone) with passwd -r ldap I am prompted for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
1 Replies

7. Linux

User Management in linux

Hi All, I have to learn all the user management commend like adduser,useradd,chggrp... etc I would like to know the syntax or example. Please give me document or link. Thanks, Mani (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
1 Replies

8. AIX

Help with user management

Hi When i search for a user it shows that the user doesn't exist # lsuser x090817 3004-687 User "x090817" does not exist. But under /var/spool/mail/ the file named x090817 still exists. 4700 1 -rw-rw---- 1 2090817 mail 603 Apr 12 2010 /var/spool/mail/x090817... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixaixaixaix
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

User account

I need to check actual date a user was disabled on my HP-UX server. Audit is claiming the user account was active during the last audit exercise. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyriac_N
7 Replies
PAM_UNIX(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       PAM_UNIX(8)

NAME
pam_unix -- UNIX PAM module SYNOPSIS
[service-name] module-type control-flag pam_unix [options] DESCRIPTION
The UNIX authentication service module for PAM provides functionality for two PAM categories: authentication and account management. In terms of the module-type parameter, they are the ``auth'' and ``account'' features. It also provides a null function for session management. UNIX Authentication Module The UNIX authentication component provides functions to verify the identity of a user (pam_sm_authenticate()), which obtains the relevant passwd(5) entry. It prompts the user for a password and verifies that this is correct with crypt(3). The following options may be passed to the authentication module: debug syslog(3) debugging information at LOG_DEBUG level. use_first_pass If the authentication module is not the first in the stack, and a previous module obtained the user's password, that password is used to authenticate the user. If this fails, the authentication module returns failure without prompting the user for a password. This option has no effect if the authentication module is the first in the stack, or if no previous modules obtained the user's password. try_first_pass This option is similar to the use_first_pass option, except that if the previously obtained password fails, the user is prompted for another password. auth_as_self This option will require the user to authenticate himself as the user given by getlogin(2), not as the account they are attempting to access. This is primarily for services like su(1), where the user's ability to retype their own password might be deemed sufficient. nullok If the password database has no password for the entity being authenticated, then this option will forgo password prompting, and silently allow authentication to succeed. UNIX Account Management Module The UNIX account management component provides a function to perform account management, pam_sm_acct_mgmt(). The function verifies that the authenticated user is allowed to login to the local user account by checking the password expiry date. The following options may be passed to the management module: debug syslog(3) debugging information at LOG_DEBUG level. UNIX Password Management Module The UNIX password management component provides a function to perform account management, pam_sm_chauthtok(). The function changes the user's password. The following options may be passed to the password module: debug syslog(3) debugging information at LOG_DEBUG level. no_warn suppress warning messages to the user. These messages include reasons why the user's authentication attempt was declined. passwd_db=name Change the user's password only the specified password database. Valid password database names are: files local password file nis NIS password database FILES
/etc/master.passwd default UNIX password database. SEE ALSO
passwd(1), getlogin(2), crypt(3), getpwent(3), syslog(3), nsswitch.conf(5), passwd(5), nis(8), pam(8) BSD
February 26, 2005 BSD