Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to delimit a flat file with records with SED Post 302251774 by Lakris on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 01:49:14 AM
Old 10-28-2008
Hi, I'm not sure if it's OK with You but I would use a combination of tr and sed, because it feels natural, since You expressed the problem in two steps. First let tr replace each newline with | and then let sed replace double || with a newline, like this:
Quote:
tr "\n" "|" < data.txt |sed 's/||/\n/g'
anyway I think You would still need two "passes" if using sed for both tasks.

/Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting records from flat file to db table

I have 20000 numbers present in a file in each line like 25663, 65465, 74579, 56446, .. .. I have created a table in db with single number column in it. create table testhari (no number(9)); I want to insert all these numbers into that table. how can i do it? can anybody please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hara
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with sed and flat file variables

Hello All, It has been a loooooooooooong time since I had last used sed but decided to use it for a simple task I have . My goal is to use sed to read variables from a flat file then use those same variables in order to make some subsitutions. However what I am finding is that when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: icalderus
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the records in the Flat file

Hi all, I am using this command "sort -d -u -k1 IMSTEST.74E -o tmp.txt" to the records in the flat. Can any tell me how to sort the file except first line in the file For ex: i/p First line: DXYZ Second line : jumy third : cmhk fourth : andy Output should... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhir_barker
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I load records from table to a flat file!

Hi All, I need to load records from oracle table XYZ to a flat file say ABC.dat. could any one tell me how do i do this in UNXI, Regards Ann (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Haque123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED | Awk flat file one liner

sed awk one liner (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jap2614
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove somewhat Duplicate records from a flat file

I have a flat file that contains records similar to the following two lines; 1984/11/08 7 700000 123456789 2 1984/11/08 1941/05/19 7 700000 123456789 2 The 123456789 2 represents an account number, this is how I identify the duplicate record. The ### signs represent... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolney
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove space and delimit a csv file?

Hi All , I am facing a small challenge i need unix command to remove space as well as replace "|" to "," in a csv file . original file : A | B | c | D E | F | G | H I | J | K | L P | M | N | O Expected o/p: A,B,c,D E,F,G,H I,J,K,L P,M,N,O (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sweety532
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed flat file manipulation

Hello, I have a large flat file where i need to change data in columns 131-133 based on what is in columns 172-173. I am not sure if I need to read the file line by line and make the change or if I can do this in a single statement. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gblmin
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delimit file based on character length using awk

Hi, I need help with one problem, I came across recently. I have one input file which I need to delimit based on character length. $ cat Input.txt 12345sda231453 asd760kjol62569 sdasw4g76gdf57 And, There is one comma separated file which mentions "start of the field" and "length... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prathmesh
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delimit the fields of a input file which has special characters?

Hi All, I am a newbie to Shell scripting. I have a requirement to Delimit the file fields of a Input file having special characters and spaces with ";". Input File ---------------------------------- Server Port ---------------------------------- Local ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suganbabu
5 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)