Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Separating values from a file and putting to a variable Post 302251768 by summer_cherry on Tuesday 28th of October 2008 12:57:15 AM
Old 10-28-2008
use awk:

Code:
awk -F"/" '{print $2 " ---- "$3}' filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I read variable values from file?

Hi, I want to pratmeterze my scripts like, my confRsync file contains varibale values for 1. host 2. Destination and 3. source like this, I want to read this values from this and assing to my makeRsyn.sh file's varibales. how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting grep -c results number in a variable

I want to display "no results found" if a grep search of a name that the user inputs is not found anywhere in a certain file, Right now I have this, but doesn't seem to work. Im not sure what to change. read name results=grep -c $name file if ; then echo "No results found." exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdude
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and assign the values to a variable

i have a file in this format curyymm PRVYYMM CDDMmmYY bddMmmyy eddMmmyy --------- ------- ------------ ---------- ----------- 0906 0905 09Jun09 01Jun09 30Jun09 ----------- --------- ------------ ------------ ----------- i need to read the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: depakjan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting together all values from different files in one file

Hi All, This is what I am trying to achieve but to no avail. I have three sets of files which are: 1. One big dictionary file which looks like this: apple orange computer pear country 2. Some thousands of text files which are named as 1.dat, 2.dat, 3.dat etc The text files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

use some part of variable value to replace ../../ values in a file

hi, i have variable value as follows val="/dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/dir5/dir6/file1" it is pointing to some file location. and i have another file as ../../dir4/file3 ../../dir4/dir5/file4 ../../dir7/file5 i want the output as /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4/file3 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: snreddy_gopu
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate a csv files by separating the values from the input file based on position?

Hi All, I need help for doing the following. I have a input file like: aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccbbbbbaaaaaadddddaaaabbbbbbb now I am trying to generate a output csv file where i will have for e.g. 0-3 chars of each line as the first column in the csv, 4-10 chars of the line as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting values into order in a field using awk

Hi, I am using UBUNTU 12.04. I have a dataset as follows: Column#1 Column#2 Column#3 .... Column#50 1 154878 1 145145 2 189565 2 454121 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting mysql column value in variable

Hello, i have the following code : somevariable=`mysql -u root --password="" databasename -e "select count(column_name) from table_name where id=1 and id_age=2 ; " --skip-column-names -s -N` if ] then .... It gives the message ")syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juve11
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in shell variable values from a file

Hello, I have a simple script that runs an application, # these arguments have the same value for all splits ARCH=12.11.1 BATCHES=50 EPOCHS=5000 LEARN_MODE=ONLINE LEARN_RATE=0.25 PROJ=02_BT_12.11.1.proj echo "processing split A on hex" cd A/ DATA_SET=S2A_v1_12.1.1_1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)