Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: smart script?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting smart script? Post 302251623 by raidzero on Monday 27th of October 2008 02:28:13 PM
Old 10-27-2008
smart script?

First, I know that's a bad title. I couldn't think of anything short enough. ...

I wrote the following script to let me know when various parts of the network are down. It used to look like this before last weekend when I got over 500 emails about 1 host being down all weekend:

this is in the cron to run every 5 minutes
Code:
#script to ping nodes specified in /home/scripts/watch
#supposed to email me when one does not respond.

while read HOST ; do live=`ping -c4 "$HOST"|wc -l` ; #read IP's and ping them, count the number of lines returned (should be 9 for success, 4 for failure)

if [ $live -eq 4 ] #pretty self-explanatory
then

echo "This is an automatically generated email to let you know that "$HOST" has not responded to a scheduled ping. \n\n`date`\n\n`ping -c1 "$HOST"`\n\n`traceroute "$HOST"`" | mail -s "IPwatch "$HOST" Down!" email@address.com # send a fancy email
fi
done < /home/scripts/watch # read IPs from this file

today I tried to add some smartness to it so that if it already emailed me 5 times to stop sending them every 5 minutes and instead send every hour. I added some bogus hosts into my definition file to test everything out and so far it has not worked as expected. What have I done wrong?

Code:
while read HOST ; do live=`ping -c4 "$HOST"|wc -l` ; 

if [ $live -eq 4 ] 
then

echo "ping failed" >> /home/scripts/ipwatch/$HOST
FAIL=`cat /home/scripts/ipwatch/$HOST | wc -l`
if [ $FAIL -lt 5 ]
then
echo "This is an automatically generated email to let you know that "$HOST" has not responded to a scheduled ping. \n\n`date`\n\n`ping -c1 "$HOST"`\n\n`traceroute "$HOST"`" | mail -s "IPwatch "$HOST" Down!" email@address.com 
fi
MIN=`date | awk '{print$4}' | cut -d ":" -f2,3`
while [ "$MIN" -eq "00:00" ]
do
echo "This is an hourly reminder about $HOST not responding to ping." | mail -s "IPWatch $HOST reminder" posborn@buckheadbeef.com
done
fi
done < /home/scripts/watch

Thanks

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

smart question

eg. : there is a file - 322 bytes, how can I (or you) view just a half of file (161 bytes)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zylwyz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Smart Backup Script

Hello Im pretty new to scripting in linux but am keen to learn. I'm trying to create a backup script similar to a batch script I developed for windows (dos) where the backup is to a usb drive. no problems with the backup process but what I would like to do is automatically remove old files if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGacko
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the difference between the commands cd ~smart and cd ~/smart

Is it possible for both commands to work? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phunkypants
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need smart script !

Hi, I need a script to assign variables the below paths /appl/user_projects/domains/<xxx>/servers/<yyy>/logs Where <xxx> can be any number and name of directories. <yyy> can be another set of any number of names and directories. I want to neglect all the <xxx> and <yyy>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					    Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)