Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Combining two commands.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Combining two commands. Post 302251327 by raidkridley on Sunday 26th of October 2008 09:19:06 PM
Old 10-26-2008
Combining two commands.

Is there anyway to achieve "find /home -name "*.bashrc" 2>/dev/null" and "PS1="\n>"" in the same command? I just wanna add a line to the previous command to change the PS1 variable to ">".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining elements of different commands in history

What is the correct format for a single command that would combine portions of 2 different lines in the command history? I'm using a C shell. Here's a simplified command history to clarify: 4 rm file1 5 ls -ld file2 file3 file4 6 cat file 5 With the above history, what would be the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dbyte
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

combining unix commands and awk program

Dear Experts I am trying to find if it is possible to combine unix commands in awk program. For example if it is possible embed rm or ls or any unix command inside the awk program and while it is reading the file besides printing be able to do some unix commands. I am thinking may be just print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining sed commands

I would like to change the lines: originalline1 originalline2 to: originalline1new originalline1newline originalline2new originalline2newline To do this, id like to combine the commands: sed 's/^/&new/g' file > newfile1 and sed '/^/ a\\ newline\\ \\ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dave724001
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining commands

Hello all, I am trying to list and count all the files of a particular type in any given directory. I can use the commands separately but when I combine them they do not give an output. The command for counting the files is ls -1 | wc -l and for listing all the file of particular type say... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple commands

Hi Guys, I am looking to optimze these 5 SSH lines to a single SSH to get my machine to not hang! lol! cat hosts.lst | xargs -n1 -t -i echo 'home/util/timeout 6 0 ssh -q {} top -b > util/{}.top &' >> r_query_info cat hosts.lst | xargs -n1 -t -i echo 'home/util/timeout 6 0 ssh -q {} uname -r... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wick3dsunny
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining two commands that use sar.

hey can anyone tell me how can i combine these two commands so that it is executed only once, but gives me both the results. IDLE=`sar 30 6 | grep Average | awk '{print $1 $5}' ` sar 30 120 | awk '{print $1" "$5}' >> mailx -m -s "$MSG" xyz@abc.com. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankur Khatri
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining resukts of ls commands

Hi, I have a directory with some XML files in it. I can use wildcards to get the list of XMLs I want say I have following XMLs in same dir Employee1.xml Employee2.xml Employee3.xml and Salary1.xml Salary2.xml Salary3.xml apart from other .txt .dat files etc I want to write a unix... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with combining the ls and 'file' commands

I have a directory of 3000 files without extensions (Solaris 5.10). I would like to iterate the file names through the 'file' command and output their mime types (most are pdf or jpg, but a very few might be psd or swf which show simply as 'data') So, I would like the output of the 'ls'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pwallace
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to combining awk commands?

I can achieve two tasks with 2 different awk commands: 1) awk -F";;WORD" '{print $2}' file | sed '/^$/d' #to find surface_word 2) awk -F"bw:|gloss:" '// {print $2}' file | sed '/\//!d; s:/*+*: + :g; s:^+::; s: *+ *$::;' #to find segmentation of surface_word Number 1) finds surface_word... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viernes
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining 2 commands

Hello all, I need to send an attachment and text in the body, both in the same Email. Below are two cammand that send the required data in separate Emails. I need to combine them so that I get just 1 Email containing the attachment & text in the body. uuencode ${filename} "${file_}" |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
6 Replies
LESSOPEN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSOPEN(1)

NAME
lessfile, lesspipe - "input preprocessor" for less. SYNOPSIS
lessfile, lesspipe DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the lessfile, and lesspipe commands. This manual page was written for the Debian GNU/Linux distribution because the input preprocessor scripts are provided by Debian GNU/Linux and are not part of the original program. lessfile and lesspipe are programs that can be used to modify the way the contents of a file are displayed in less. What this means is that less can automatically open up tar files, uncompress gzipped files, and even display something reasonable for graphics files. lesspipe will toss the contents/info on STDOUT and less will read them as they come across. This means that you do not have to wait for the decoding to finish before less shows you the file. This also means that you will get a 'byte N' instead of an N% as your file posi- tion. You can seek to the end and back to get the N% but that means you have to wait for the pipe to finish. lessfile will toss the contents/info on a file which less will then read. After you are done, lessfile will then delete the file. This means that the process has to finish before you see it, but you get nice percentages (N%) up front. USAGE
Just put one of the following two commands in your login script (e.g. ~/.bash_profile): eval "$(lessfile)" or eval "$(lesspipe)" FILE TYPE RECOGNITION
File types are recognized by their extensions. This is a list of currently supported extensions (grouped by the programs that handle them): *.a *.arj *.tar.bz2 *.bz *.bz2 *.deb, *.udeb, *.ddeb *.doc *.gif, *.jpeg, *.jpg, *.pcd, *.png, *.tga, *.tiff, *.tif *.iso, *.raw, *.bin *.lha, *.lzh *.tar.lz, *.tlz *.lz *.7z *.pdf *.rar, *.r[0-9][0-9] *.rpm *.tar.gz, *.tgz, *.tar.z, *.tar.dz *.gz, *.z, *.dz *.tar *.tar.xz, *.xz *.jar, *.war, *.xpi, *.zip *.zoo USER DEFINED FILTERS
It is possible to extend and overwrite the default lesspipe and lessfile input processor if you have specialized requirements. Create an executable program with the name .lessfilter and put it into your home directory. This can be a shell script or a binary program. It is important that this program returns the correct exit code: return 0 if your filter handles the input, return 1 if the standard lesspipe/lessfile filter should handle the input. Here is an example script: #!/bin/sh case "$1" in *.extension) extension-handler "$1" ;; *) # We don't handle this format. exit 1 esac # No further processing by lesspipe necessary exit 0 FILES
~/.lessfilter Executable file that can do user defined processing. See section USER DEFINED FILTERS for more information. BUGS
When trying to open compressed 0 byte files, less displays the actual binary file contents. This is not a bug. less is designed to do that (see manual page less(1), section INPUT PREPROCESSOR). This is the answer of Mark Nudelman <markn@greenwoodsoftware.com>: "I recognized when I designed it that a lesspipe filter cannot output an empty file and have less display nothing in that case; it's a side effect of using the "no output" case to mean "the filter has nothing to do". It could have been designed to have some other mechanism to indicate "nothing to do", but "no output" seemed the simplest and most intuitive for lesspipe writers." Sometimes, less does not display the contents file you want to view but output that is produced by your login scripts (~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile). This happens because less uses your current shell to run the lesspipe filter. Bash first looks for the variable $BASH_ENV in the environment expands its value and uses the expanded value as the name of a file to read and execute. If this file produces any out- put less will display this. A way to solve this problem is to put the following lines on the top of your login script that produces output: if [ -z "$PS1" ]; then exit fi This tests whether the prompt variable $PS1 is set and if it isn't (which is the case for non-interactive shells) it will exit the script. SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Most of the text was copied from a description written by Darren Stalder <torin@daft.com>. LESSOPEN(1)