Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Break line after last "/" if length > X characters Post 302251124 by Franklin52 on Saturday 25th of October 2008 07:31:05 AM
Old 10-25-2008
You can try this if you don't have any spaces in the file:

Code:
tr '/' ' ' < file | fold -s -w 33 | tr ' ' '/'

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove "New line characters" and "spaces" at a time

Dear friends, following is the output of a script from which I want to remove spaces and new-line characters. Example:- Line1 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz Line2 mnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijkl Line3 opqrstuvwxyzabcdefdefg Here in above example, at every starting line there is a “tab” &... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl file, one line code include "length, rindex, substr", slow

Hi Everyone, # cat a.txt a;b;c;64O a;b;c;d;ee;f # cat a.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $tmp3 = ",,a,,b,,c,,d,,e,,f,,"; open(my $FA, "a.txt") or die "$!"; while(<$FA>) { chomp; my @tmp=split(/\;/, $_); if ( ($tmp =~ m/^(64O)/i) || ($tmp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete characters from each line until meet character ":"

Hello, I have file that looks like this : 765327564:line1 94:line2 7865:line3 ..... 765322:linen I want to cut all the digits from the beginning of each line up to ":" character and to have everything like this : line1 line2 line3 ..... linen P.S : content of line1 ...... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a string across line break (because of "segmentation fault core dumped")

Hi, thanks to a precedent post, and thanks to the reply of derekludwig of the forum, I have convert my first awk command as : test.txt is : AAAAAGHIJKLAjKMEFJKLjklABCDJkLEFGHIJKL awk -f findstring.awk test.txt > textreturn.txtfindstring.awk is : BEGIN{ SLENGTH = 3 } { ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thewizarde6
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure: if grep "$Var" "$line" inside while read line loop

Hi everybody, I am new at Unix/Bourne shell scripting and with my youngest experiences, I will not become very old with it :o My code: #!/bin/sh set -e set -u export IFS= optl="Optl" LOCSTORCLI="/opt/lsi/storcli/storcli" ($LOCSTORCLI /c0 /vall show | grep RAID | cut -d " "... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subsonic66
5 Replies
american-english(5)						   Users' Manual					       american-english(5)

NAME
american-english - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/american-english is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 american-english(5)