Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redhat 2.1 AS Memory Limit?
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Redhat 2.1 AS Memory Limit? Post 302250876 by jim mcnamara on Friday 24th of October 2008 01:19:14 PM
Old 10-24-2008
Hmm...

Nobody has answered - so take this with a grain of salt. I have vague memories of compiling a RH 2.1 AS kernel with a "bigmem" switch set on to allow the use of more than 4GB.

So, yes, without playing compile-the-kernel, going beyond 4GB is potentially a waste.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Memory loading with RedHat 7.2

I am using Redhat 7.2. I have 1gb of ram. When I use applications, it seems like the memory used keeps adding up even after I stop the applications. When I reboot, I use around 256mb of ram, then after I use some apps, it piles up to about 750mb of ram used. I look at all active processes with ps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeremiebarber
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

upper limit of accessible memory space for a single process in Unix/Linux

Hellp all, if there is 3G memory in my Unix server I want to know if all the 3G space can be used by ong sigle process. As i know, in Windows, one process can only access at most 1G memory despite there is probably more than 1G memory is equipped. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

pny adp648tm-50 memory not working with redhat linux

I had two high speed 1gb mem installed on my primary mem slots. When i tried to add two PNY adp648tm-50 mem, 1gb each on the two empty mem slots, it didn't work. However both the old and the pny mem by themselves work and the system boot up, but fails if I put all the memories in there. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Memory Limit ?

Is there an input file memory limit for awk? I have a 38Mb text file that I am trying to print out certatin lines and add a string to the end of that line. When I excute the script on the 38Mb file the string I am adding is put on a new line. If I do the same with a smaller file the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cold_Que
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory limit on php in .sh script

Hi, I have .sh script running php script with "php". When I run php script from web browser, it is running without errors. When I run it from .sh script, I am getting "memory exhausted". It seems to me that running php from .sh does not respect php.ini or have its own setting. So, how can I set... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LukasB
0 Replies

6. AIX

Memory limit for C program

Greetings - I'm porting a C application to an AIX (6.1) system, and have bumped into the limits AIX imposes on memory allocation, namely the default limit of 256MB for a process. I'm aware of the compilation flag that allows an application to gain access to up to 8 memory segments (each 256MB,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: traviswheeler
4 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Limit CPU and RAM utilization for new user in RedHat

We have a system with 4 Xeon Processors each with 10 cores, total 512 GB RAM and 10 TB Hard Drive. we want to create multiple user accounts with different resource limitations as : User 1: RAM : 50GB, PROCESSOR: 10 Cores , User folder in home directory of 10GB space. User 2: RAM :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavvsk
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

PAE kernel memory limit

What is the limit of LowMem and HighMem in PAE enable kernel. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Cpu, memory - limit by user

Hi all ! I'm new in this site, so sorry if this question is into wrong place. How can I limit cpu/core and memory usage by user? System: RedHat Ent. Linux. 6.4 Tks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tiago
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Is there limit on number of ACLs' per directory in Redhat

I work on a distribution application on Linux which generates bulk reference data extract feeds and stores them on a Linux server. I have several consumer applications access the files stored on this Linux server using FTPS protocol. However in order for consumer applications to have access to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: waavman
2 Replies
ns_crypt(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				      ns_crypt(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_crypt - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_crypt key salt _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_crypt encrypted the key, also known as the password, using the salt and returns the result. It uses the same algorithm as the unix crypt command. The result from ns_crypt is a 13-character string. The first two characters correspond to the salt, and the remaining eleven characters correspond to the password encrypted with the specified salt. The password is a string (typically that of a password to be used for nscp and/or nsperm authentication). salt should be two characters, typically from the set [a-zA-Z0-9./]. If the empty string is specified as the salt then ns_crypt returns the empty string. If a string longer than two characters is specified for the salt it is truncated to two characters. If a one character salt is provided the output will appear to have a two-character salt (the single character repeated), however, the encrypted value does not correspond to the same password being encrypted with the equivalent two character salt. (As a result sticking with a two character salt is highly recommended.) Input to ns_crypt is case-sensitive. EXAMPLES
nscp> ns_crypt aolserver ns ns0WvClsyIL4A nscp> ns_crypt aolserver NS NSDQ1dPM.409Q nscp> ns_crypt aolserver tcl tcAbgtlzbEhVc nscp> ns_crypt aolserver tc tcAbgtlzbEhVc nscp> ns_crypt aolserver .. ..7TNvXHLxJ9Y nscp> ns_crypt aolserver . ..fwmBaZuzrRs SEE ALSO
nsd(1), info(n), nscp, nsperm, crypt(3) KEYWORDS
AOLserver 4.0 ns_crypt(3aolserver)