Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers reading more than one variable into a for loop Post 302250822 by radoulov on Friday 24th of October 2008 11:24:07 AM
Old 10-24-2008
With bash:

Code:
while read -ra r; do
  printf "my name is %s, I'm %d years old, postcode is %s\n" \
  "${r[0]} ${r[1]}" "${r[3]}" "${r[2]}"
done<infile

Otherwise:

Code:
while read -r l f c a; do
  printf "my name is %s, I'm %d years old, postcode is %s\n" \
  "$l $f" "$a" "$c"
done<infile

Last edited by radoulov; 10-24-2008 at 12:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from 2 files through while loop

hi i have two files cat input.txt 123456| 43256 456482|5893242 cat data.txt xv 123456 abcd dsk sd 123456 afsfn dd df 43256 asdf ff ss 456482 aa sf 5893242 ff ff aa 5893242 aa aa i need to read inputs from input.txt and find data for data.txt. then i need to print them as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: windows
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop not reading last line

hi all, i have a while loop which i am using to read lines into an array: k=0 exec 10<file while read LINE <&10; do ARRAY=$LINE ((k++)) done exec 10>&- echo ${ARRAY} for some reason when i display the array it is not showing the last row in the file. any help appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not access variable outside loop when a reading a file

I am writing a shell script using the korn shell. It seems that I am only able to use local variables within a while loop that is reading a file. (I can't access a variable outside a previously used while loop.) It's been a while since I wrote shell scripts. Here is a sample cat file.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricardo.ludwig
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the modified value of variable outside the while loop reading from a file

Hi Friends , Sorry if this is a repeated question , The input file contains 5 lines , so the the values of the variables i and count should b i=5; count=15 but the variables are not updating , the value of variables showing i=0 and count =0 only.:mad: can any1 help me please. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: babusek
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop - reverse reading

All, Here is my for loop export CFGLIST="LIST1 LIST2 LIST3" for i in $CFGLIST do echo print $i done The output will be LIST1 LIST2 LIST3 But i want it display LIST3 LIST2 LIST1 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line in while loop

Hello Team, i have to read line by line in a while loop, and the input file has:. # The script will start cppunit test application to run unit tests. -LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$CPPUNIT_HOME/lib:\ +LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$VOBTAG/SS_UnitTest/lib:\ $VOBTAG/SS_BFD/BFDSCLI/build:\ ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux