Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers reading more than one variable into a for loop Post 302250808 by joeyg on Friday 24th of October 2008 10:25:07 AM
Old 10-24-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver solution with awk

Code:
> cat file11
john D fr25dd 25
mark W ab122aa 22
phil C cd343bb 33
> awk '{print "My name is "$1" "$2". I am "$4" years old.... postcode is "$3}' <file11
My name is john D. I am 25 years old.... postcode is fr25dd
My name is mark W. I am 22 years old.... postcode is ab122aa
My name is phil C. I am 33 years old.... postcode is cd343bb

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from 2 files through while loop

hi i have two files cat input.txt 123456| 43256 456482|5893242 cat data.txt xv 123456 abcd dsk sd 123456 afsfn dd df 43256 asdf ff ss 456482 aa sf 5893242 ff ff aa 5893242 aa aa i need to read inputs from input.txt and find data for data.txt. then i need to print them as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: windows
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop not reading last line

hi all, i have a while loop which i am using to read lines into an array: k=0 exec 10<file while read LINE <&10; do ARRAY=$LINE ((k++)) done exec 10>&- echo ${ARRAY} for some reason when i display the array it is not showing the last row in the file. any help appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not access variable outside loop when a reading a file

I am writing a shell script using the korn shell. It seems that I am only able to use local variables within a while loop that is reading a file. (I can't access a variable outside a previously used while loop.) It's been a while since I wrote shell scripts. Here is a sample cat file.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricardo.ludwig
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading variable from file variable values

Hi, Here is the output of lpstat. I would like to read value of Queue which is(abxxxxb1)and status that is DOWN in first line. i dont care what is in second line. any one can help me.thanks Queue Dev Status Job Files User PP % Blks Cp Rnk ------- ----- ---------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagii
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the modified value of variable outside the while loop reading from a file

Hi Friends , Sorry if this is a repeated question , The input file contains 5 lines , so the the values of the variables i and count should b i=5; count=15 but the variables are not updating , the value of variables showing i=0 and count =0 only.:mad: can any1 help me please. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: babusek
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop - reverse reading

All, Here is my for loop export CFGLIST="LIST1 LIST2 LIST3" for i in $CFGLIST do echo print $i done The output will be LIST1 LIST2 LIST3 But i want it display LIST3 LIST2 LIST1 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line in while loop

Hello Team, i have to read line by line in a while loop, and the input file has:. # The script will start cppunit test application to run unit tests. -LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$CPPUNIT_HOME/lib:\ +LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$VOBTAG/SS_UnitTest/lib:\ $VOBTAG/SS_BFD/BFDSCLI/build:\ ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
geom(1) 																   geom(1)

NAME
geom - analyzes a molecular geometry input in Cartesian coordinates. DESCRIPTION
The program geom reads a set of Cartesian coordinates and determines from them the bond distances (Bohr and angstrom), bond angles, tor- sional angles, out-of-plane angles (optional), moments of inertia, and rotational constants. FILES REQUIRED
input.dat - Input file and one of the following: geom.dat - geometry file file11.dat - PSI-format geometry/gradient file FILES GENERATED
geom.out - file containing the analysis INPUT OPTIONS
The geom program has the following options: -h Print help information (these options). -aces [filename] Read the input in an ACES output format, with each line consisting of atomic symbol, atomic number, and Cartesian coordinates (in Bohr). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -qchem [filename] Read the input in an QCHEM output format, with each line consisting of the atom number, the atomic symbol, and Cartesian coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -xyz [filename] Read the input in an XYZ output format. The first line contains the number of atoms and the second line is a comment line. Subse- quent lines each contain the atomic symbol and Cartesian X Y and Z coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -oop Print out-of-plane angles, where the angle a-b-c-d is defined as the angle formed by the vector a-d and the plane defined by atoms b, c, and d. DO_OOP = boolean Same as command-line switch -oop described above. ISOTOPES = matrix of reals/strings Used to specify masses to be used in the calculation of the center of mass and rotational constants. One array is provided for each isotopomer to be calculated. The arrays can mix floating point numbers with strings which designate isotopes. If this array is not given and file11.dat is present, then the masses will be obtained by converting the atomic numbers in file11. If masses are not given by ISOTOPES or by file11, then no mass-related quantities will be calculated. -g [filename] Read Cartesian coordinates from a file other than file11.dat. If a filename is not given, the default is geom.dat. The alternative file is assumed to be in a format similar to that of PSI's geom.dat. Since such files do not contain atomic numbers, the moments of inertia and rotational constants are not calculated if this option is used. READ_GEOM = boolean This option in input.dat tells geom to read the geometry from geom.dat in the PSI geom.dat format. -a Print parameters for all pair distances. PRINT_ALL_DIST = boolean Same as -a flag described above. -d distance Only print parameters involving pairs of atoms which are less than distance bohr apart (default value is 4.0 bohr). PRINT_DISTANCE = value Same as -d flag described above. -angstrom The input coordinates are in angstroms, not bohr. ANGSTROM = boolean If TRUE, the input coordinates are in angstroms instead of bohr. The default is FALSE. The following example is for calculating the geometrical information for water with several different isotopes. The geometry is read from geom.dat rather than from file11.dat. geom: ( read_geom = true isotopes = ( (O H H) (O D D) (O18 1.007825 1.007825) ) ) 5 June, 1998 geom(1)