Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to concatenate a string and a variable Post 302250675 by togr on Friday 24th of October 2008 03:20:36 AM
Old 10-24-2008
echo ${variable}_${i}

curly braces are used to emphesize the actual name of the variable, usually it's not necessary but sometimes a bit confusing constructions are used,
This User Gave Thanks to togr For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Asking on concatenate variable

Hi , like to ask if we use ksh script to take in parameter into $1 and how do i concatenate the $1 value with some words into a variable?? Below is what i have written and i think is wrong ,how do i write it? datafile="Report" || $1 || ".xls" (Should become Report2000.xls) echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blueberry80
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate String through Awk

I want to concatenate any particular field of the file with any String say SSB....but i am not able to do it... I hv tried the following code....but its saying there is error in parsing it.. awk 'BEGIN { FS = "," ; OFS = "," ; } { for ( i = 1 ; i < 5 ; i++ ) {a=i;b="SSB"; print $1,$a$b,$3 } }'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monu_munish
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string to a variable

Hello All, How to concatenate a string to a variable in a script I'm having a file which is consisting of data and i need to extract the first line of the file and append it to a string. /tmp/samp.list containg 60000 I like to concatenate it with a string (SS_) grep -w SS_$(head -1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nkamalkishore
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable concatenate

Hello, It might be stupid question But I will ask it any way:) var1="1 2 3 4" var2="5 6 7 8" var3=$var1\ $var2 var4="$var1\n$var2" echo "$var1" echo "$var2" echo "$var3" echo "$var4" The result of executing this code is as follow 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1 2 3 4\n5 6... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fdc2suxs
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file, extract two another strings and concatenate to a variable

I have a file with <suit:run date="Trump Tue 06/19/2012 11:41 AM EDT" machine="garg-ln" build="19921" level="beta" release="6.1.5" os="Linux"> Need to find word "build" then extract build number, which is 19921 also release number, which is 6.1.5 then concatenate them to one variable as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: garg
6 Replies

6. Programming

Concatenate string from text file

Hi mY files paths are defined as : //sbase = 'D:\data\sample_AMC\fasta_files\'; sbase2 = 'D:\data\sample_AMC\fasta_files\results\'; snameprefix = 'orig_ind'; snameprefix3 = 'results_ind'; ... const string filname = sbase + snameprefix + snamesuffix; const string resultsname_ =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siya@
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate Path name to a variable??

I have the path name in a Variable Ex: $XML_PATH_FLAG = /ebs/appl/u00/universe01/inbound/universeorders Now I have to pick up ALL XML files in this directory . In other words I have to pick up ALL the files /ebs/appl/u00/universe01/inbound/universeorders/F1.xml... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pete.kriya
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate two variables and form the third variable

Hi Guys, I was scratching my head for this for half a day... finally not successful :confused: Following is the problem I have a variable $ var1=123 $ var2-234 $ var3=345 and another Variable $ i=1 Now i wanted to save these into a Variable as shown below for i in 1 2 3 do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramprabhum
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - concatenate string - strange variable scoping

Hello, I am trying to concatenate a string in a bash script like this: runCmd="docker run -e \"IMAGE_NAME=$IMAGE_NAME\" " env | grep "$ENV_SUFFIX" | while read line; do envCmd="-e \"${line}\" " runCmd=$runCmd$envCmd echo $runCmd # here concatenation works fine done echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: czabak
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
sfind(1)							    ShapeTools								  sfind(1)

NAME
sfind - shapeTools RMS recursively descend a system hierarchy SYNOPSIS
sfind [-subs | -comp] directory [command] DESCRIPTION
Sfind recursively descends the system hierarchy of a software system managed by the shapeTools Release Management System (shapeTools RMS). Sfind starts it's search from directory downwards. According to the shapeTools RMS conventions, directory must contain a Shapefile which lists the subsystems in the variable SUBSYSTEMS and the subsystem components in the variable COMPONENTS. Each subsystem is visited. If no command is specified, sfind echoes the pathnames of the subsystems it finds, or, if the option -comp is given, the pathnames of the components of each subsystem. When a command is given, it is executed in the directory of each subsystem. The string ``{}'' in command is replaced by the pathname of the subsystem or component. OPTIONS
-subs command is invoked for each subsystem. This is the default. ``{}'' in command is replaced by the pathname of the subsystem. -comp command is invoked for each component. ``{}'' in command is replaced by the pathname of the component. EXAMPLES
List all system components: sfind -comp ~/development Show the pathnames of all versionfiles: sfind ~/development echo -n {}/ ; shape -echo VERSIONFILE Echo identification of the last release of each subsystem: sfind ~/development vl -last -format '$__lastrelease$\n' `shape -echo VERSIONFILE` Necessary quoting to echo a pair of curly braces: sfind ~/development echo two \{\} braces SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), shape(1), shape_RMS(1), shape_tmpl(7) CAVEATS
Quoting of shell meta characters can be tough. BUGS
The program is slow because shape(1) is called at least once for each subsystem. When sfind is interrupted, usually shape(1) displays the message ``shape - interrupted'', which may be confusing. AUTHOR
Andreas.Lampen@cs.tu-berlin.de shape_RMS-1.15 Fri Jun 25 17:01:50 1993 sfind(1)