Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX error : can not fork new process Post 302250633 by DustBunny on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 11:27:58 PM
Old 10-24-2008
Hi Zedex,

A fork can fail due to many reasons. It technically depends on the error message you find on your syslog. If you could give us the exact error message, it would be useful. It may be because of nprocs or maxuprc, swap memory kinda stuff.

A easy fact of this message is that a program is spawning too many processes or even by calling itself.

I believe that your issue should be with maxuprc. Give us more information. Also, what is the OS release you are using?

-DB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reference Variables To A Child Process Created With Fork

Hi! IN THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM THE VALUE OF j REMAINS UNCHANGED . WHY ? IF I WANT A VARIABLE VALUE TO CHANGE LIKE THIS , IS THERE ANY WAY TO DO IT ? Or do we have to use shared memory variables? main() { int return_pid, i, total; int j=1; total = TOTALRECS+1; for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJAY BHATIA
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot fork , too many process - SCO Unix 5.05

I need a help... I have a HP Netserver LH 6000 U with Hardware Raid . Sco 5.0.5 installed with Oracle database. Total number of users, normally logged in are around 60 nos. The system is very slow ( takes 6 hours for processing one Lakh bills) during the Billing process. Also it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saleeshpl
1 Replies

3. Programming

Multiple process using fork()

I have a code which has four different process, each printing different message. I have provided it with user input (implemented using thread), depending on which the corresponding message from that process has to be printed.The code is shown below.when I run the pgm, it takes input such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cannot fork process on IBM - AIX

Hi, Currently, I'm getting the foll error on an IBM AIX /etc/profile: 0403-030 The fork function failed. Too many processes already exist. How can i check the current no. of processes which can run simultaneously on an IBM AIX machine for oracle user and how can i change ? Thanks Vin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: win_vin
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
1 Replies

7. Programming

Timed action after fork() in parent process

Assume you have such a piece of (more or less pseudo-)code: if(fork() == 0) {// childprocess chmod(someProgram, 00777); exec(someProgram); } else { // assume it never fails and this is the parent chmod(someProgram, 00000); // should be executed as soon as possible after the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
5 Replies

8. Programming

fork n process

Making a C program (process PP) that satisfies the following requirements: 1. Pp receives 3 ≤ N ≤ 10 arguments on the command line invocation, to interpret as a whole and thus should be 1 ≤ Ni ≤ 4; 2. Pp initially will have to create N processes Pi children facing a range of life to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: loweherz
1 Replies

9. Programming

Generating Random Number in Child Process using Fork

Hello All, I am stuck up in a program where the rand functions ends up giving all the same integers. Tried sleep, but the numbers turned out to be same... Can anyone help me out how to fix this issue ? I have called the srand once in the program, but I feel like when I call fork the child process... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisum
5 Replies

10. Programming

Problem with fork() and execlp process

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a task to use a fork to create multiple processes and then use execlp to run another program to add 2 numbers. The problem I am having is we are supposed to use the exit() call in the execlp to return the small integer. This is a bad way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnathan_1017
3 Replies
swapmem_on(5)							     OBSOLETE							     swapmem_on(5)

NAME
swapmem_on - OBSOLETE kernel tunable parameter DESCRIPTION
The tunable is obsolete. Processes will always be allowed to use pseudo-swap space if it is available. In previous versions of HP-UX, system configuration required sufficient physical swap space for the maximum possible number of processes on the system. This is because HP-UX reserves swap space for a process when it is created, to ensure that a running process never needs to be killed due to insufficient swap. This was difficult, however, for systems needing gigabytes of swap space with gigabytes of physical memory, and those with workloads where the entire load would always be in core. This tunable was created to allow system swap space to be less than core memory. To accomplish this, a portion of physical memory is set aside as "pseudo-swap" space. While actual swap space is still available, processes still reserve all the swap they will need at fork or execute time from the physical device or file system swap. Once this swap is completely used, new processes do not reserve swap, and each page which would have been swapped to the physical device or file system is instead locked in memory and counted as part of the pseudo-swap space. WARNINGS
Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters swapmem_on(5)