Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to split a text after fix character count Post 302250584 by avis1981 on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 06:32:39 PM
Old 10-23-2008
not working at all?
Can you tell what is the expected output and provide what you tried?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to split a value according to character position

Hello all, I have a script which picks up a series of large numbers, each of which are actually amalgamations of a series of other numbers. Unfortunately there are no separator characters so I can't use awk -F. I am looking for a way of splitting them into variables according to their... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: michaeltravisuk
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help fix my garbage - File Split Program in Perl

Hi, I have the following, it doesn't work and I know it's crap code. The objective is to split a file with a givin number of codes such as: 01,02,03,...,99 Then return all records with each seperate identifier in a new file. The files being split have lrecl=500, recfm=F, and I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkastin
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split character

how we can split characters of a field? for example if we have a file such like below: ... 20120102 120352.5AM ... i want to get out put like this: ... 2012 01 02 12 03 52.5 AM ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saeed.soltani
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - count character count of fields

Hello All, I got a requirement when I was working with a file. Say the file has unloads of data from a table in the form 1|121|asda|434|thesi|2012|05|24| 1|343|unit|09|best|2012|11|5| I was put into a scenario where I need the field count in all the lines in that file. It was simply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a column into multiple columns at certain character count

Hey everyone, I have an issue with a client that is passing me a list of values in one column, and occasionally the combination of all the values results in more than an 255 character string. My DB has a 255 character limit, so I am looking to take the column (comma delimited file), and if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perekl
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding a certain character in a filename and count the characters up to the certain character

Hello, I do have folders containing having funny strings in their names and one space. First, I do remove the funny strings and replace the space by an underscore. find . -name '* *' | while read file; do target=`echo "$file" | sed 's/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tempestas
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File name contains escape character--how to fix?

Assuming the file is supposed to be named Right is actually named: Wrong\033-b option of the ls command. There are a number of other files in that directory which start with Wrong so a move or copy starting with Wrong* isn't an option. Is there a way to identify this file to copy or move it?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position

I will appreciate if you help me here in this script in Solaris Enviroment. Scenario: i have 2 files : 1) /tmp/TRANSACTIONS_DAILY_20180730.txt: 201807300000000004 201807300000000005 201807300000000006 201807300000000007 201807300000000008 2)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: teokon90
10 Replies
textutil::split(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 				textutil::split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::split - Procedures to split texts SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::split ?0.7? ::textutil::split::splitn string ?len? ::textutil::split::splitx string ?regexp? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::split provides commands that split strings by size and arbitrary regular expressions. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::split::splitn string ?len? This command splits the given string into chunks of len characters and returns a list containing these chunks. The argument len defaults to 1 if none is specified. A negative length is not allowed and will cause the command to throw an error. Providing an empty string as input is allowed, the command will then return an empty list. If the length of the string is not an entire multiple of the chunk length, then the last chunk in the generated list will be shorter than len. ::textutil::split::splitx string ?regexp? This command splits the string and return a list. The string is split according to the regular expression regexp instead of a simple list of chars. Note that if you parentheses are added into the regexp, the parentheses part of separator will be added into the result list as additional element. If the string is empty the result is the empty list, like for split. If regexp is empty the string is split at every character, like split does. The regular expression regexp defaults to "[\t \r\n]+". BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
regular expression, split, string textutil 0.7 textutil::split(n)