Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the latest added part of a text file? Post 302250526 by joeyg on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 03:12:10 PM
Old 10-23-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver What about this?

If the data is appended to the file, then perhaps...
(the following is a rough coding; there are issues with spacing and field layouts known)

analyze data as normal
wc -l mydatafile >mydatafile.last

next time to analyze
newcnt=$(wc -l mydatafile)
lastcnt=$(cat mydatafile.last)
newlines=$(echo $newcnt - $lastcnt | bc)

now, a tail command could provide you with the last lines to review

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving part of Text in a file

Hi, I have this text in a file where I need to move part of the text.... <Relation1 OriginatingObjectID="Holding_1" RelatedObjectID="Party_1" id="Relation_1"> <OriginatingObjectType tc="4">Holding</OriginatingObjectType> <RelatedObjectType tc="6">Party</RelatedObjectType>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want Trailer to be added into the text file.

Hi folks, I want Trailer to be added into the txt file the format is below. flatfile-> abc.txt count of the file is 500 records. I want the trailer in this format: TRAILER|500 (pipe delimeter). Please suggest the comands ASAP. Rgds Ann (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haque123
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing part of a text file with user input.

Ok, I am brand new to UNIX and I am trying to learn a cross between basic script and database use. I had got some ideas off the net on simple ideas for learning UNIX. I am working on creating a simple phone book program that allows myself to enter our employees from work into a phone book text... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: georgefurbee
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving a part of the text in a file

*************** #some other text ***************** *************** #some other text ***************** address1=1.1.1.1 address2=2.2.2.2 address3=3.3.3.3 I have a file where i need to push all the text starting from address1 till end of file to, below . Can anyone of you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthgoodboy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting part of a text file

Hi guys So I have a very large log file where each event is logged along with the time that it occurred. So for e.g. The contents of the file look like: ... 12:00:07 event 0 happened. 12:01:01 event 1 happened. 12:01:05 event 2 happened. 12:01:30 event 3 happened. 12:02:01 event 4... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinaqvi90
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove part of a column in a text file

I have a text file with delimiter "|" and sometimes the zipcode is in "5th" column or "6th" column. I want to scan the file and remove the "-2323" from the zipcode which has zip+4 digits From blah|blah|foo|bar||blah|945523-232|USA blah|blah|foo|bar||blah|foo|94555-2323|USA To... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract part of text file

I need to extract the following lines from this text and put it in different files. From xxxx@gmail.com Thu Jun 10 21:15:46 2010 Return-Path: <xxxxx@gmail.com> X-Original-To: xxx@localhost Delivered-To:xxxx@localhost Received: from ubuntu (localhost ) by ubuntu (Postfix) with ESMTP... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: waxo
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To display the selected part in text file of unix

0400903071220312 20120322 20:21 1TRANTELSTRAFLEXCAB22032012CMP201323930000812201108875802100A003485363 12122011AUS 182644 000C2 8122011 0000 000 1TRANTELSTRAFLEXCAB22032012CMP201323930000812201108875802100A003485363 12122011AUS ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammm
6 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Renaming part of a text file ?

I have several files that are named like this "DotP_D14 - Verknüpfung" They all have the " - Verknüpfung" in common. I'd like to rename all of them to get rid of that last part. Is this possible with DOS on windows ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pasc
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending mail to multiple recipient added in a text file

I am trying to find a code that can help me mail to a list of recipients which are in a text file. Sample code $cat recipient.txt me@test.com me1@test.com me2@test.com I want a mailx step that can read contents of recipient.txt and mail to all the users. I don't want to use mails... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
1 Replies
tail(1) 																   tail(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/tail [ +-s number [lbcr]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcr] [file] /usr/bin/tail [ +- number [lbcf]] [file] /usr/bin/tail [-lbcf] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [-f | -r] [-c number | -n number] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [ +- number [l | b | c] [f]] [file] /usr/xpg4/bin/tail [ +- number [l] [f | r] ] [file] The tail utility copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is used. Copying begins at a point in the file indicated by the -cnumber, -nnumber, or +-number options (if +number is specified, begins at distance number from the beginning; if -number is specified, from the end of the input; if number is NULL, the value 10 is assumed). number is counted in units of lines or byte according to the -c or -n options, or lines, blocks, or bytes, according to the appended option l, b, or c. When no units are specified, counting is by lines. The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/tail and /usr/xpg4/bin/tail. The -r and -f options are mutually exclusive. If both are specified on the command line, the -f option is ignored. -b Units of blocks. -c Units of bytes. -f Follow. If the input-file is not a pipe, the program does not terminate after the line of the input-file has been copied, but enters an endless loop, wherein it sleeps for a second and then attempts to read and copy further records from the input-file. Thus it can be used to monitor the growth of a file that is being written by some other process. -l Units of lines. -r Reverse. Copies lines from the specified starting point in the file in reverse order. The default for r is to print the entire file in reverse order. /usr/xpg4/bin/tail The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/tail only: -c number The number option-argument must be a decimal integer whose sign affects the location in the file, measured in bytes, to begin the copying: + Copying starts relative to the beginning of the file. - Copying starts relative to the end of the file. none Copying starts relative to the end of the file. The origin for counting is 1; that is, -c+1 represents the first byte of the file, -c-1 the last. -n number Equivalent to -cnumber, except the starting location in the file is measured in lines instead of bytes. The origin for counting is 1. That is, -n+1 represents the first line of the file, -n-1 the last. The following operand is supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, the standard input is used. See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of tail when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). Example 1: Using the tail Command The following command prints the last ten lines of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initiated and killed. example% tail -f fred The next command prints the last 15 bytes of the file fred, followed by any lines that are appended to fred between the time tail is initi- ated and killed: example% tail -15cf fred See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of tail: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/tail +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ cat(1), head(1), more(1), pg(1), dd(1M), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) Piped tails relative to the end of the file are stored in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. Various kinds of anomalous behavior can happen with character special files. 13 Jul 2005 tail(1)