Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX error : can not fork new process Post 302250518 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 02:39:50 PM
Old 10-23-2008
The * tried to execute everything in the current directory probably /home/careless_user.

chmod -R 000 /home/careless_user will stop new process creation.
chmod 000 /usr/bin/ksh or renaming it will just cause a lot of other scripts to bomb

Since the * tries to execute every file in the directory, the processes that were halfway done with trying to run stuff will be short-circuited. No new processes can start any children. A few seconds after you chmod 000 everything, you are in a position to try to kill the remaining processes, since they cannot create children.
Code:
kill -9 $(ps -e | |grep 'careless_user$' | awk '{print $1 }')

400 pids will not exceed ARG_MAX, so this should work without error.

Things are also interesting when a user creates a file named * - rsync and backup scripts just love it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Reference Variables To A Child Process Created With Fork

Hi! IN THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM THE VALUE OF j REMAINS UNCHANGED . WHY ? IF I WANT A VARIABLE VALUE TO CHANGE LIKE THIS , IS THERE ANY WAY TO DO IT ? Or do we have to use shared memory variables? main() { int return_pid, i, total; int j=1; total = TOTALRECS+1; for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJAY BHATIA
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot fork , too many process - SCO Unix 5.05

I need a help... I have a HP Netserver LH 6000 U with Hardware Raid . Sco 5.0.5 installed with Oracle database. Total number of users, normally logged in are around 60 nos. The system is very slow ( takes 6 hours for processing one Lakh bills) during the Billing process. Also it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saleeshpl
1 Replies

3. Programming

Multiple process using fork()

I have a code which has four different process, each printing different message. I have provided it with user input (implemented using thread), depending on which the corresponding message from that process has to be printed.The code is shown below.when I run the pgm, it takes input such as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cannot fork process on IBM - AIX

Hi, Currently, I'm getting the foll error on an IBM AIX /etc/profile: 0403-030 The fork function failed. Too many processes already exist. How can i check the current no. of processes which can run simultaneously on an IBM AIX machine for oracle user and how can i change ? Thanks Vin (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: win_vin
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
1 Replies

7. Programming

Timed action after fork() in parent process

Assume you have such a piece of (more or less pseudo-)code: if(fork() == 0) {// childprocess chmod(someProgram, 00777); exec(someProgram); } else { // assume it never fails and this is the parent chmod(someProgram, 00000); // should be executed as soon as possible after the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
5 Replies

8. Programming

fork n process

Making a C program (process PP) that satisfies the following requirements: 1. Pp receives 3 ≤ N ≤ 10 arguments on the command line invocation, to interpret as a whole and thus should be 1 ≤ Ni ≤ 4; 2. Pp initially will have to create N processes Pi children facing a range of life to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: loweherz
1 Replies

9. Programming

Generating Random Number in Child Process using Fork

Hello All, I am stuck up in a program where the rand functions ends up giving all the same integers. Tried sleep, but the numbers turned out to be same... Can anyone help me out how to fix this issue ? I have called the srand once in the program, but I feel like when I call fork the child process... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisum
5 Replies

10. Programming

Problem with fork() and execlp process

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a task to use a fork to create multiple processes and then use execlp to run another program to add 2 numbers. The problem I am having is we are supposed to use the exit() call in the execlp to return the small integer. This is a bad way to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johnathan_1017
3 Replies
PPERL(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 PPERL(1p)

NAME
PPerl - Make perl scripts persistent in memory SYNOPSIS
$ pperl foo.pl DESCRIPTION
This program turns ordinary perl scripts into long running daemons, making subsequent executions extremely fast. It forks several processes for each script, allowing many processes to call the script at once. It works a lot like SpeedyCGI, but is written a little differently. I didn't use the SpeedyCGI codebase, because I couldn't get it to compile, and needed something ASAP. The easiest way to use this is to change your shebang line from: #!/usr/bin/perl -w To use pperl instead: #!/usr/bin/pperl -w WARNINGS
Like other persistent environments, this one has problems with things like BEGIN blocks, global variables, etc. So beware, and try checking the mod_perl guide at http://perl.apache.org/guide/ for lots of information that applies to many persistent perl environments. Parameters $ pperl <perl params> -- <pperl params> scriptname <script params> The perl params are sent to the perl binary the first time it is started up. See perlrun for details. The pperl params control how pperl works. Try -h for an overview. The script params are passed to the script on every invocation. The script also gets any current environment variables, the current working directory, and everything on STDIN. Killing In order to kill a currently running PPerl process, use: pperl -- -k <scriptname> You need to make sure the path to the script is the same as when it was invoked. Alternatively look for a .pid file for the script in your tmp directory, and kill (with SIGINT) the process with that PID. ENVIRONMENT
pperl uses the PPERL_TMP_PATH environment variable to determine the directory where to store the files used for inter-process communication. By default, the subdirectory .pperl of the user's home directory is used. BUGS
The process does not reload when the script or modules change. $^S is not represented identically with respect to perl, since your script will be run within an eval block AUTHOR
Matt Sergeant, matt@sergeant.org. Copyright 2001 MessageLabs Ltd. SEE ALSO
perl. perlrun. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 PPERL(1p)