Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To print a specific line in Shell or awk. Post 302250476 by tushar_tus on Thursday 23rd of October 2008 11:53:19 AM
Old 10-23-2008
To print a specific line in Shell or awk.

Hi,

I want to echo the 15th line from a file named as abc.txt, also i want to echo only the values in that line not the line number.

Thanks in advanceSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/shell script to print each line to a file

Dear People, My query is: have a file, which looks likes this: 10 20 30 40 50 1 2 3 4 5 100 200 300 400 500 what i need is: "PRINT EACH LINE TO AN UNIQUE FILE" desired output: file 1 10 20 30 40 50 file 2 1 2 3 4 5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saint2006
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Print Line If Specific Character Is Matched

Hello, I have a file as such: FFFFFFF6C000000 225280 225240 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF79C00000 3240 3240 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF7A000000 4096 4096 - - rwxs- FFFFFFFF7A400000 64 64 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: PointyWombat
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to read a specific line and a specific field on that line.

Say the input was as follows: Brat 20 x 1000 32rf Pour 15 p 1621 05pr Dart 10 z 1111 22xx My program prompts for an input, what I want is to use the input to locate a specific field. Like if I type in, "Pou" then it would return "Pour" and just "Pour" I currently have this line but it is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bungkai
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter in sed or awk commands to print for the specific line in a file

Hi, I am trying to print a specific line in a file through sed or awk. The line number will be passed as a parameter from the previous step. My code looks as below. TEMP3=`sed -n '$TEMP2p' $FILEPATH/Log.txt` $TEMP2, I am getting from the previous step which is a numerical value(eg:3). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyasrin82
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print String Every Specific Line

Dear All, I have input file like this, 001 059 079 996 758 079 069 059 079 ... ... Desired output: AA 001 BB 059 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print with awk specific field different from specific character?

Hello, i need help with awk. I have this file: cat number DirB port 67 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 71 er_enc_out 56 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 74 er_enc_out 0 er_bad_os 0 DirB port 75 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elilmal
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting , need to search and print a line that contains a specific pattern

Take example of below file. abc.txt nas1:/abc/test/test1 /test nas1:/abc/test/test1/test2 /test/abc nas1:/abc/test/ Now i have a variable that contains "nas1:/abc/test/test1" value , so i need to search the above file for this variable and print only this line. ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohit_vardhani
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print specific line in file based on criteria

In the file below I am trying to extract a specific instance of path, if the adjacent plugin": "/rundb/api/v1/plugin/49/. Thank you :). file "path": "/results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-4-Medexome_65_028/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.52", "plugin": "/rundb/api/v1/plugin/49/",... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching fields in input but only print line with largest value in specific field

In the below I am trying to use awk to match all the $13 values in input, which is tab-delimited, that are in $1 of gene which is just a single column of text. However only the line with the greatest $9 value in input needs to be printed. So in the example below all the MECP2 and LTBP1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)