Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Rename/Convert Files in Shell Scripting? Post 302249277 by radoulov on Tuesday 21st of October 2008 04:11:27 AM
Old 10-21-2008
Or even this:

Code:
for name in *.doc ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename files using shell scripting

Hi all, i want to rename some files in my directory using korn shell scripting. 1) i want to rename files who have no extension so that they will have the format: filename.extension and 2) i want the files who has extension initially, to stay the same (they will not be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to rename files with .1,.2,.3 ....ext respectively

Hey Guys.... Just need some help as I am not proficient in Unix shell script... Doubt: --------------- Suppose there will be some of the following files inside a directory called OUT ... Path: - /appdb1/product/batch/rms/OUT files inside OUT directory:- POSU_75002_20090127_20090129035442... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyajit007
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to rename files

Hi, i need a bit of help writting a tcsh script which renames all ascii text files in the current directory by adding a number to their names before the extension so for example, a directory containing the files Hello.txt Hello.t Hello should have the following changes, Hello.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakuzaa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to rename all files that have a certain text in the filename using tcsh shell

Hello~ I'm on AIX version 5 and I believe I have the tcsh shell environment to play in. Can you guys help me with a solution to rename all files that have "eclp" in the filename to "ecl" ? I basically want to rename the files and strip the "p" out. i.e. original filenames: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: in2vtec
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for a Shell script to rename multiple files

Hi! I need help to create a shell script to search inside a file and then copy a portion of the search result as the new file name. Basically I was hacked over the weekend and the genius wipe out my drive from my server. I was able to recover alot of files, but biggest problem Is now the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidney514
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to rename a group of files

Hello, I am having 1800 files in a directory with a specified format, like amms_850o_prod.000003uNy amms_850o_prod.000003u8x amms_850o_prod.000003taP amms_850o_prod.000003tKy amms_850o_prod.000003si4 amms_850o_prod.000003sTP amms_850o_prod.000003sBg amms_850o_prod.000003rvx... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: atlantis
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Windows Power Shell - rename files and move

hi people; i want to make a file/folder operation as follows. - i have 41 folders in Windows and each of them have same-named files (~200 files each) inside. - i want to stack these files together in a folder but Windows is asking to "overwrite" (as usual) since the file names are the same.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert string into integer in shell scripting?

Hi All, sessionid_remote=$(echo "select odb_sessionid from sysopendb where odb_dbname='syscdr';" | sudo -u cucluster ssh ucbu-aricent-vm93 "source /opt/cisco/connection/lib/connection.profile; $INFORMIXDIR/bin/dbaccess sysmaster@ciscounity") for sid in $sessionid_remote;do if * ]];... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deeptis
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create or convert to pdf files from csv files using shell script?

Hi, Can anyone help me how to convert a .csv file to a .pdf file using shell script Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert String to an Array using shell scripting in JSON file.

This is the sample json I have pasted here. I want all the IP address strings to be converted into an array. For example "10.38.32.202" has to be converted to everywhere in the JSON. There are multiple IPs in a JSON I am pasting one sample object from the JSON. But the IPs already in an Array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinshas1
11 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)