Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Compile new kernel in Fedora 5 Post 302249265 by viveksnv on Tuesday 21st of October 2008 03:36:43 AM
Old 10-21-2008
Compile new kernel in Fedora 5

Hi All,
I try to compile new kernel in FC5.

New kernel version - 2.6.20.21
Operating System - Fedora 5

I have followed these steps,

make menuconfig
make
make modules
make modules_install
make install

Then i have changed the grub.cong and reboot the system with new kernel.

The system has rebooted. But eth0 not detected..

ifconfig command displays only - lo details.

I feel , i have missed something..

How resolve this problem..

Regards
Vivek

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

compile a new kernel in RHEL 5

Hi all, I need some help in compiling a new kernel. I am using RHEL 5 with kernel version 2.6.18. I have downloaded a kernel from link http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.6.tar.bz2 1. cd /usr/src 2. wget -c http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.20.tar.bz2 3.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikas027
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compile linux kernel on redhat

Hello, Please let me know how to compile a linux kernel on redhat. I am relatively new in this area so please be a little patient with me. Here is the file I was consulting with the following details: Compiling the Linux Kernel on Redhat 7.1 This page describes how to install... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhattbonny
2 Replies

3. Debian

compile kernel with OFED

Hello Friends, I know how to compile the kernel . But I don't know how to compile the kernel with OFED. Can any one assist me on that. Or can anyone send me the link. Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
0 Replies

4. Linux

kernel compile

Dear experts, How can compile the kernel as application mode? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
2 Replies

5. Slackware

Compile Leanest Slackware Kernel

My goal is to make the leanest Slackware kernel possible for my machine specifically. I'm not exactly a newbie to unix, but I'm not an expert. I tried this tutorial Chapter*18.*Building a kernel , but I would like something in more depth to really make a lean slack machine. Where should I go? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkstarxor
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compile most recent kernel on older distro ?

Debian lenny uses the 2.6.26 kernel by default. Can I compile the most recent kernel from kernel.org and use it instead ? Will the new kernel be incompatible with other installed softwares ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyler
1 Replies

7. Linux

Howto compile my own module into the kernel

Hi there, I'm currently writing a program/module which makes use of the Linux Security Modules (LSM), which provide hooks for some security . The bad thing about it is: The function to set the hook to the LSM is not exported. That means, I can't just write a loadable kernel module, but have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
3 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Kernel compile error

Hi I'm compiling a real-time kernel in linux, but after I type make bzImage things end with this: (Things going well doing CC and things).... CC arch/x86/kernel/kgdb.o CC arch/x86/kernel/vm86_32.o CC arch/x86/kernel/early_printk.o CC arch/x86/kernel/ipipe.o... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Kernel can not boot after upgrade on Fedora OS 15.

Hello, everyone. I am using Fedora 15, and want to upgrade to version 16. I follow the official link Upgrading Fedora using yum - FedoraProject to upgrade my OS by the following command: yum update kernel* --releasever=16 yum groupupdate Base --releasever=16 reboot After reboot, OS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 915086731
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can i get UNIX kernel and compile it like Linux ?

I am not a newbie to Linux, i have been using Linux as my desktop for 4 years, but i am just an end user to Linux, no advanced knowledge to it. I knew that, i can download generic linux kernel and compile it by myself, but how about Unix? how can i get an Unix kernel and compile it ? or no this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wong.sie.ung
5 Replies
WD_KEEPALIVE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   WD_KEEPALIVE(8)

NAME
wd_keepalive - a simplified software watchdog daemon SYNOPSIS
wd_keepalive [-c filename|--config-file filename] DESCRIPTION
This is a simplified version of the watchdog daemon. If configured so it only opens .IR /dev/watchdog , and keeps writing to it often enough to keep the kernel from resetting, at least once per minute. Each write delays the reboot time another minute. After a minute of inactivity the watchdog hardware will cause a reset. In the case of the software watchdog the ability to reboot will depend on the state of the machines and interrupts. The wd_keepalive daemon can be stopped without causing a reboot if the device /dev/watchdog is closed correctly, unless your kernel is com- piled with the CONFIG_WATCHDOG_NOWAYOUT option enabled. Under high system load wd_keepalive might be swapped out of memory and may fail to make it back in in time. Under these circumstances the Linux kernel will reset the machine. To make sure you won't get unnecessary reboots make sure you have the variable realtime set to yes in the configuration file watchdog.conf. This adds real time support to wd_keepalive: it will lock itself into memory and there should be no problem even under the highest of loads. On system running out of memory the kernel will try to free enough memory by killing process. The wd_keepalive daemon itself is exempted from this so-called out-of-memory killer. OPTIONS
Available command line options are the following: -c config-file, --config-file config-file Use config-file as the configuration file instead of the default /etc/watchdog.conf. FILES
/dev/watchdog The watchdog device. /var/run/wd_keepalive.pid The pid file of the running wd_keepalive. SEE ALSO
watchdog.conf(5) watchdog(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution January 2005 WD_KEEPALIVE(8)