Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Exclude lines which have blanks at certain positions Post 302248663 by helper on Sunday 19th of October 2008 02:32:44 AM
Old 10-19-2008
MySQL

All,

Thanks for the commands. It worked.. Thanks a ton.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk modifying entries on 2 lines at 2 positions

Hi this script adds text in the correct place on one line only, in a script. awk 'BEGIN{ printf "Enter residue and chain information: " getline var < "-" split(var,a) } /-s rec:/{$7=a; } {print}' FLXDOCK but I need the same info added at position 7 on line 34 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gav2251
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude lines in a loop

I use while do - done loop in my shell script. It is working as per my expectations. But I do not want to process all the lines. I am finding it difficult to exclude certain lines. 1) I do not want to process blank lines as well as lines those start with a space " " 2) I do not want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression grepping lines with VARIOUS number of blanks

Hi, I need a regular expression grepping all lines starting with '*' followed by a VARIOUS number of blanks and then followed by the string 'Runjob=1'. I tried that code, but it doesn't work: grep -i '*'+'Runjob=1' INPUT_FILE >>OUTPUT_FILE Can someone help me? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script replace positions if certain positions equal prescribed value

I am attempting to replace positions 44-46 with YYY if positions 48-50 = XXX. awk -F "" '{if (substr($0,48,3)=="XXX") $44="YYY"}1' OFS="" $filename > $tempfile But this is not working, 44-46 is still spaces in my tempfile instead of YYY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: halplessProblem
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines

I have requirement in my every files starting lines have # needs to be not processing or exclude the that lines. I have written a code like below, but now working as expected getting ERROR" line 60: 1 #!/bin/sh 2 echo ======= LogManageri start ========== 3 4 #This directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines from processing

I have a file like below #Fields section bald 1234 2345 456 222 abcs dddd dddd ssss mmmm mmm mmm i need do not process a files stating with # I was written code below while read -r line do if then echo ${line} >> elif then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter lines based on values at specific positions

hi. I have a Fixed Length text file as input where the character positions 4-5(two character positions starting from 4th position) indicates the LOB indicator. The file structure is something like below: 10126Apple DrinkOmaha 10231Milkshake New Jersey 103 Billabong Illinois ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude multiple lines using grep

Hi, I'm working on a shell script that reports service status on a database server. There are some services that are in disabled status that the script should ignore and only check the services that are in Enabled status. I output the service configuration to a file and use that information to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing certain positions in lines with spaces

Hello, I have a file with hundreds of lines. Now I need to replace positions 750-766 in each line (whatever there is there) with spaces... how can I do that? Which command to use? The result will be all the lines in the file will have spaces in positions 750-766. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
3 Replies
SWISS::TextFunc(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      SWISS::TextFunc(3pm)

NAME
SWISS::TextFunc DESCRIPTION
This module is designed to be a repository of functions that are repeatedly used during parsing and formatting of SWISS-PROT/TREMBL lines. If more than two line types need to do aproximately the same thing then it is probably in here. All functions expect to be called as package->function(param list) listFromText Takes a piece of text, a seperator regex and a seperator that may appear at the end. Returns an array of items that were seperated in the text by that seperator. Takes care of null items (looses them for you). textFromList Takes an array of items, a separator, a terminating string, and a line width. Returns an array of strings, each ending with the separator or the terminator with a width less than or equal to the width specified. Seems to do the wrong thing for references - not sure why. Don't use it for that. wrapText Takes a string and a length. Returns an array of strings which are shorter or equal in length to length, spliting the string on white space. wrapOn ($firstLinePrefix, $linePrefix, $colums, $text[, @separators]) Wraps $text into lines with at most $colums colums. Prepends the prefixes to the lines. @separators is a list of expressions on which to wrap. The expression itself is part of the upper line. If no @separators are provided, the $text is wrapped at whitespace except in EC/TC numbers or at dashes that separate words. First tries to wrap on the first item of @separators, then the next etc. If no wrap on any element of @separators or whitespaces is possible, wraps into lines of exactly length $colums. A special case is that the first item of @separators may be a reference to an array. This is used internally for wrapping FT VARIANT- like lines. Example: wrapOn('DE ', 'DE ', 40, '14-3-3 PROTEIN BETA/ALPHA (PROTEIN KINASE C INHIBITOR PROTEIN-1)', 's+') returns ['14-3-3 PROTEIN BETA/ALPHA (PROTEIN ', 'KINASE C INHIBITOR PROTEIN-1)'] wrapOn('DE ', 'DE ', 40, '14-3-3 PROTEIN BETA/ALPHA (PROTEIN KINASE C INHIBITOR PROTEIN-1)', ' (?=()', 's+') returns ['14-3-3 PROTEIN BETA/ALPHA ', '(PROTEIN KINASE C INHIBITOR PROTEIN-1)'] cleanLine Remove the leading line Identifier and three blanks and trailing spaces from an SP line. joinWith ($text, $with, $noAddAfter, @list) Concatenates $text and @list into one string. Adds $with between the original elements, unless the postfix of the current string is $noAddAfter. This is used to avoid inserting blanks after hyphens during concatenation. So unpleasant strings like 'CALMODULIN- DEPENDENT' are avoided. Unfortunately a correct reassembly of strings like 'CARBON-DIOXIDE' is not done. insertLineGroup ($textRef, $text, $pattern) Inserts text block $text into the text referred to by $textRef. $text will replace the text block in $textRef matched by $pattern. uniqueList (@list) Returns a list in which all duplicates from @list have been removed. currentSpDate returns the current date in SWISS-PROT format toMixedCase($text, @regexps) Convert a text to mixed case, according to one or more regular expressions. In scalar context, returns the new text; in array context, also returns the regexp with which the change was performed, or undef on failure. See corresponding item in SWISS::GN for more details. perl v5.10.1 2006-08-31 SWISS::TextFunc(3pm)