Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Exclude lines which have blanks at certain positions Post 302248663 by helper on Sunday 19th of October 2008 02:32:44 AM
Old 10-19-2008
MySQL

All,

Thanks for the commands. It worked.. Thanks a ton.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk modifying entries on 2 lines at 2 positions

Hi this script adds text in the correct place on one line only, in a script. awk 'BEGIN{ printf "Enter residue and chain information: " getline var < "-" split(var,a) } /-s rec:/{$7=a; } {print}' FLXDOCK but I need the same info added at position 7 on line 34 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gav2251
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

exclude lines in a loop

I use while do - done loop in my shell script. It is working as per my expectations. But I do not want to process all the lines. I am finding it difficult to exclude certain lines. 1) I do not want to process blank lines as well as lines those start with a space " " 2) I do not want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression grepping lines with VARIOUS number of blanks

Hi, I need a regular expression grepping all lines starting with '*' followed by a VARIOUS number of blanks and then followed by the string 'Runjob=1'. I tried that code, but it doesn't work: grep -i '*'+'Runjob=1' INPUT_FILE >>OUTPUT_FILE Can someone help me? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script replace positions if certain positions equal prescribed value

I am attempting to replace positions 44-46 with YYY if positions 48-50 = XXX. awk -F "" '{if (substr($0,48,3)=="XXX") $44="YYY"}1' OFS="" $filename > $tempfile But this is not working, 44-46 is still spaces in my tempfile instead of YYY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: halplessProblem
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines

I have requirement in my every files starting lines have # needs to be not processing or exclude the that lines. I have written a code like below, but now working as expected getting ERROR" line 60: 1 #!/bin/sh 2 echo ======= LogManageri start ========== 3 4 #This directory is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File lines starts with # not processed or exclude that lines from processing

I have a file like below #Fields section bald 1234 2345 456 222 abcs dddd dddd ssss mmmm mmm mmm i need do not process a files stating with # I was written code below while read -r line do if then echo ${line} >> elif then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter lines based on values at specific positions

hi. I have a Fixed Length text file as input where the character positions 4-5(two character positions starting from 4th position) indicates the LOB indicator. The file structure is something like below: 10126Apple DrinkOmaha 10231Milkshake New Jersey 103 Billabong Illinois ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude multiple lines using grep

Hi, I'm working on a shell script that reports service status on a database server. There are some services that are in disabled status that the script should ignore and only check the services that are in Enabled status. I output the service configuration to a file and use that information to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil3d
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing certain positions in lines with spaces

Hello, I have a file with hundreds of lines. Now I need to replace positions 750-766 in each line (whatever there is there) with spaces... how can I do that? Which command to use? The result will be all the lines in the file will have spaces in positions 750-766. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
3 Replies
RCSCLEAN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       RCSCLEAN(1)

NAME
rcsclean - clean up working files SYNOPSIS
rcsclean [options] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
rcsclean removes files that are not being worked on. rcsclean -u also unlocks and removes files that are being worked on but have not changed. For each file given, rcsclean compares the working file and a revision in the corresponding RCS file. If it finds a difference, it does nothing. Otherwise, it first unlocks the revision if the -u option is given, and then removes the working file unless the working file is writable and the revision is locked. It logs its actions by outputting the corresponding rcs -u and rm -f commands on the standard output. Files are paired as explained in ci(1). If no file is given, all working files in the current directory are cleaned. Pathnames matching an RCS suffix denote RCS files; all others denote working files. The number of the revision to which the working file is compared may be attached to any of the options -n, -q, -r, or -u. If no revision number is specified, then if the -u option is given and the caller has one revision locked, rcsclean uses that revision; otherwise rcsclean uses the latest revision on the default branch, normally the root. rcsclean is useful for clean targets in makefiles. See also rcsdiff(1), which prints out the differences, and ci(1), which normally reverts to the previous revision if a file was not changed. OPTIONS
-ksubst Use subst style keyword substitution when retrieving the revision for comparison. See co(1) for details. -n[rev] Do not actually remove any files or unlock any revisions. Using this option will tell you what rcsclean would do without actually doing it. -q[rev] Do not log the actions taken on standard output. -r[rev] This option has no effect other than specifying the revision for comparison. -T Preserve the modification time on the RCS file even if the RCS file changes because a lock is removed. This option can suppress extensive recompilation caused by a make(1) dependency of some other copy of the working file on the RCS file. Use this option with care; it can suppress recompilation even when it is needed, i.e. when the lock removal would mean a change to keyword strings in the other working file. -u[rev] Unlock the revision if it is locked and no difference is found. -V Print RCS's version number. -Vn Emulate RCS version n. See co(1) for details. -xsuffixes Use suffixes to characterize RCS files. See ci(1) for details. -zzone Use zone as the time zone for keyword substitution; see co(1) for details. EXAMPLES
rcsclean *.c *.h removes all working files ending in .c or .h that were not changed since their checkout. rcsclean removes all working files in the current directory that were not changed since their checkout. FILES
rcsclean accesses files much as ci(1) does. ENVIRONMENT
RCSINIT options prepended to the argument list, separated by spaces. A backslash escapes spaces within an option. The RCSINIT options are prepended to the argument lists of most RCS commands. Useful RCSINIT options include -q, -V, -x, and -z. DIAGNOSTICS
The exit status is zero if and only if all operations were successful. Missing working files and RCS files are silently ignored. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: ; Release Date: . Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
ci(1), co(1), ident(1), rcs(1), rcsdiff(1), rcsintro(1), rcsmerge(1), rlog(1), rcsfile(5) Walter F. Tichy, RCS--A System for Version Control, Software--Practice Experience 15, 7 (July 1985), 637-654. BUGS
At least one file must be given in older Unix versions that do not provide the needed directory scanning operations. GNU RCSCLEAN(1)