Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Comparing Negative #'s in IF Statements Post 302248416 by msb65 on Friday 17th of October 2008 02:59:08 PM
Old 10-17-2008
Comparing Negative #'s in IF Statements

Hi,

I am writing a BASH shell script. I would like to construct an IF statement that allows me to determine if a variable is between -180 and 180. Example:

if [ $WEST -lt -180.0 -o $WEST -gt 180.0 ]; then
echo 'WEST NOT WITHIN BOUNDS'
fi

However, I believe the negative sign is causing errors. What is the proper BASH syntax to make this tyoe of comparison? Thanks a lot.

Mike

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

negative permissions

Hi. I want to know how can I negate a write permission for a file to an expecific user when that user have that permission becouse he belongs to a group what have a write permission for the file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sickoboy
4 Replies

2. Programming

Negative Offset

Function: int fcntl(int fd, int cmd, struct flock * lock) Data Type: struct flock This structure is used with the fcntl function to describe a file lock. It has these members: off_t l_start This specifies the offset of the start of the region to which the lock applies, and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Negative Numbers and If Statements

Hi, Can anyone explain what is going on here: michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ start=-1 michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ stop=1 michael-browns-powerbook-g4-15:~ msb65$ if ; then echo hello; fi -bash: ; then echo hello; fi hello Are you not allowed to compare negative... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

report negative value from file

Hello, I need help to write a script to do the following: 1) read the following file vol_check.out 2) report any negative value with host and volume name vol_check.out file contents: ---------------------------------- prod_filer1 ---------------------------------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: za_7565
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Negative Numbers with If/Else

ValA=-29344 if ; then echo "NEGATIVE" else echo "POSITIVE" fi Can someone please tell me how else they would go about doing the above? When i do it, i get errors such as: (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

change value to negative

How to change value in column 5 to negative based on value in column 2 ? Example: For all records with A in column 2 change value in column 5 to negative. file Code: 1234~A~b~c~10~e~f~g~h~09/10/09 1234~A~b~c~75~e~f~g~h~11/12/10 1234~A~b~c~40~e~f~g~h~12/06/10 5678~B~b~c~2~e~f~g~h~01/11/11... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sigh2010
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Negative testing in unix

how can we do negative testing in unix ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eshalife
2 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Bits in Negative

Hi All, I have received a notification that I have posted a question double times. But I have not done all this intentionally. I have just joined this site and was not aware of the rules. Also I have my bits in negative. what does that mean. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sum the value with negative values?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement need to sum the value, the logic is if the value is negative then time -1, I tried below two ways. one is failed, another one doesn't work. awk -F"," '{if($8< 0 $8*-1 else $8) sum+=$8}{print sum, $8} END{printf("%.2f\n",sum)}' awk -F","... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
4 Replies
__SINPI(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						__SINPI(3)

NAME
__sinpi -- sine-pi function SYNOPSIS
#include <math.h> float __sinpif(float x); double __sinpi(double x); DESCRIPTION
The __sinpi() function returns the sine of pi times x (measured in radians). This can be computed more accurately than sin(M_PI * x), because it can implicitly use as many bits of pi as are necessary to deliver a well-rounded result, instead of the 53-bits to which M_PI is limited. For large x it may also be more efficient, as the argument reduction involved is significantly simpler. This function may be especially useful for working with degrees; whereas sin(M_PI * x / 180.0) cannot produce exact results for angles that naively "should" be exact, like 180 degrees, __sinpi(x / 180.0) can be computed exactly. SPECIAL VALUES
__sinpi(-x) is the same as - __sinpi(x) for any finite x. __sinpi(+-0) returns +-0. __sinpi(n) returns +0 for any positive integer n. __sinpi(n + 0.5) returns +1 for any even integer n. __sinpi(n + 0.5) returns -1 for any odd integer n. __sinpi(+-infinity) raises the invalid floating-point exception and returns NaN. VECTOR OPERATIONS
If you need to apply the __sinpi() function to SIMD vectors or arrays, using the following functions provided by the Accelerate.framework may be useful: #include <Accelerate/Accelerate.h> vFloat vsinpif(vFloat x); void vvsinpif(float *y, const float *x, const int *n); void vvsinpi(double *y, const double *x, const int *n); SEE ALSO
__cospi(3), __tanpi(3), __sincospi(3), math(3) BSD
December 15, 2012 BSD