Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error while using tar
Operating Systems Solaris Error while using tar Post 302248083 by jlliagre on Friday 17th of October 2008 02:16:11 AM
Old 10-17-2008
gtar might be present but just not in your PATH. It is bundled with recent Solaris releases. Anyway, after reading again your first posting, I think your file is simply truncated. There is no way then to recover the missing data outside from that archive.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

TAR error

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When I tried to decompress using TAR the following error was popped up.. tar: blocksize = 0 ..Can anyone tell me wht this means and how to rectify this error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemin_pm
1 Replies

2. Solaris

TAR error

When I tried to decompress using TAR the following error was popped up.. tar: blocksize = 0 ..Can anyone tell me wht this means and how to rectify this error... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemin_pm
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reg: tar error

Hi , i am working on aix. when i am tarring a folder using the command tar cf /home/test45/res rpt i am getting an error like tar: res rpt/Idaho_110_20079245268_Plan_OverPayment_summary_rpt_v2.1.xls: file changed as we read it vat may be the issue... please advice sam (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam99
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error in tar

Hi i am facing one problem with one file dxagent.ss, this file has most of the binary contents. when i m running following command on unix machine tar xpf dxagent.ss output should be: removing leading '/' from members name. and should create 'usr' and 'var' directory. but i am getting some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogini nemade
5 Replies

5. AIX

Tar error

When Im trying to untar a file I get an error message tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 804399248 not equal to 46325. What can I do to untar my file Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joemad
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error when tar extract

I've got this Files.tgz containing Fruits/Apple.txt Drinks/Soda.txt Drinks/Pepsi.txt I would like to extract all files/directories with pattern "Fruits". So, what I did was tar -xvf File.tgz `tar -tf Files.tgz | grep 'Fruits'` However, output is:- Files/Fruits... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: percivalwcy
8 Replies

7. Linux

tar error exit delayed form pervious error

Hi when use "tar cpvzf /dev/st0 --exclude=/proc --exclude-/lost+found --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/sys /" to tape, get the following message "tar: error exit delayed form pervious error", What is the mean ? Please suggest some solution for these errors. thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chayato
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar error

do you have idea what is the limit to zip the file. + tar -cvf - today.txt tar: Size of today.txt >= 8GB. Not dumped. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
3 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGRESTORE(8)