Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File format check
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File format check Post 302247866 by Leo_NN on Thursday 16th of October 2008 01:34:57 PM
Old 10-16-2008
File format check

How to check if file is in a given format?

For instance: if file records are delimeted with "|" ( pipes) and have exactly 26 fields?

File is pretty big (~3 mil reccords), so not sure if I have to check all records or just head/tail records or smth.

Any ideas are much much more than welcome!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether a given file is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited

Hi All, Please help me out with a script which checks whether a given file say abc.txt is in ASCII format and data is tab-delimited. If the condition doesn't satisfy then it should generate error code "100" for file not in ASCII format and "105" if it is not in tab-delimited format. If the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the format of Date

Hi, I have a date field in my input file. I just want to check if its in the format "DD-MM-YYYY". Is there any command which can achieve this? Thanks and Regards, Abhishek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAA
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for file name of specific format using find?

I have to find the specific formatted file is present in the received list in the directory, for which I have written: file_list=`ls -lrt /tmp/vinay/act/files |grep "$cdate"| awk '{print $9}'` while read fileStr do find $file_list $fileStr > /dev/null status=`echo $?` if ; then ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IND123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check file name format using shell script?

Hi, I am writting a script, which accepts input file as parameter. Input file name is aa_bb_cc_dd_ee.<ext> I need to check that input file name should be of 5 fileds. Please help me out. :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to check date format yyyymm

My source file having one date column. The formate of the date column is yyyymm. I need to validate whether all the rows are in same format in the given file. If it is not I have captured that records in a separate file. I am very new to Unix. I don't how to achieve this. Plz help me to achieve... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh01_apk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding date numeral from file and check the validity of date format

hi there I have file names in different format as below triss_20111117_fxcb.csv triss_fxcb_20111117.csv xpnl_hypo_reu_miplvdone_11172011.csv xpnl_hypo_reu_miplvdone_11-17-2011.csv xpnl_hypo_reu_miplvdone_20111117.csv xpnl_hypo_reu_miplvdone_20111117xfb.csv... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check dos format in a file

Hi All, I am trying to check if the file is in dos format using simple grep command but the problem is lines inside the file with have special characters in between and in some lines end of the line will have the '^M' character. I tried the below command in simple line(without special... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check user entered correct file format or not?

Hi Experts, path=/db/files/ format=$1 User can enter any file format.compare the user file format with actual file format existed in the directory /db/files. User enter all characters as "A" apart from date format. example1: user will be entering the file format AAA_AA_YYYYMMDD.AAA Actual... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telephone Format and Check

How can I script to check telephone number entered by user in a uniz script: print -n "Enter telephone number to check ? " ; read telno How do I script to : 1) Check if entered without dashes or with dashes 2) If without dashes how can I check: if telno is only 10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if file is EBCDIC or ASCII format

So, i have this requirement where i need to check the file format, whether it's EBCDIC or ASCII, and based on format retrieve the information from that file: my file is: file1.txt-->this ebcdic file file2.txt-->ascii file i tried below code: file=file1.txt type="`file $file`" i get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnnsprapa
7 Replies
ncab2clf(1)							   User Commands						       ncab2clf(1)

NAME
ncab2clf - convert binary log file to Common Log File format SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/ncab2clf [-Dhv] [-i input-file] [-o output-file] [-b size] [-n number] [-s datetime] DESCRIPTION
The ncab2clf command is used to convert the log file generated by the Solaris Network Cache and Accelerator ("NCA") from binary format, to Common Log File ("CLF") format. If no input-file is specified, ncab2clf uses stdin. If no output-file is specified, the output goes to std- out. OPTIONS
-b Specifies the binary-log-file blocking in kilobytes; the default is 64 Kbyte. -D Specifies that direct I/O be disabled. -h Prints usage message. -i input-file Specifies the input file. -n number Output number CLF records. -o output-file Specifies the output file. -s datetime Skip any records before the date and time specified in datetime. You can specify the date and time in CLF format or in the format specified by the touch(1) utility. CLF format is the dominant format, so ncab2clf first analyzes datetime assuming CLF. -v Provides verbose output. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting a Binary File to a Common Log File Format The following example converts the binary file /var/nca/logs/nca.blf to a file /var/nca/logs/nca.clf, which is in Common Log File format. example% ncab2clf -D -i /var/nca/logs/nca.blf -o /var/nca/logs/nca.clf Example 2: Converting Multiple Log Files The following script may be used to convert multiple log files. The directory designated by "*" must only contain log files. !/bin/ksh for filename in * do ncab2clf -D < $filename > $filename.clf done Example 3: Using -s and -n on a Raw Device The following example shows how ncab2clf can be used on a raw device. If not using the -n option, the default is to convert all records from the starting location to the end of the file. The date and time specified with -s, below, is in CLF format. example% ncab2clf -s '10/Apr/2001:09:23:13' -n 100 < /dev/dsk/c2t1d0s6 EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The file converted successfully >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWncau | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nca(1), ncakmod(1), nca.if(4), ncakmod.conf(4), ncalogd.conf(4), attributes(5) System Administration Guide: IP Services NOTES
The binary log files generated by NCA can become very large. When converting these large binary files, use the -b option to the ncab2clf command to help performance. Direct I/O is a benefit to the user if the data being written does not come in as large chunks. However, if the user wishes to convert the log file in large chunks using the -b option, then direct I/O should be disabled by using the -D option. SunOS 5.10 28 Sep 2001 ncab2clf(1)