Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using awk to read a field
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using awk to read a field Post 302247784 by Pablo_beezo on Thursday 16th of October 2008 10:55:56 AM
Old 10-16-2008
Using awk to read a field

I am trying to output the total number of records that have name and address within there specific fields i.e. $6 (surname) $9 (address). The file that redirects in is a csv file.

The code is wrong somewhere as i have another awk similar to this that reads in the same file and that works perfectly.

Please see attached code:

OFS=$IFS
IFS=","
#count on address
awk '

BEGIN {
FS=",";
OFS=",";
NA=0;
}

{
if ($6 == /[a-zA-Z]/ && $9 == /[a-zA-Z0-9]/)
{
NA++;
}

}

END {
printf ("%s", NA);
}

' < ../$CUSTOMER_DIRECTORY/"$input_file_name" |\
read NA

IFS=$OFS

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this?Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Pattern match between 2 files, then compare a field in file1 as > or < field in file2

First, thanks for the help in previous posts... couldn't have gotten where I am now without it! So here is what I have, I use AWK to match $1 and $2 as 1 string in file1 to $1 and $2 as 1 string in file2. Now I'm wondering if I can extend this AWK command to incorporate the following: If $1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk repeat one field at all lines and modify field repetitions

Hello experts I have a file with paragraphs begining with a keeping date and ending with "END": 20120301 num num John num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num A keepnum1 num num kathrin num num B keepnum2 num num Pete num num A keepnum1 num num Jacob num... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse field and include the text of 1 pipe in field 4

I am trying to parse the input in awk to include the |gc= in $4 but am not able to. The below is close: awk so far: awk '{sub(/\|]+]++/, ""); print }' input.txt Input chr1 955543 955763 AGRN-6|pr=2|gc=75 0 + chr1 957571 957852 AGRN-7|pr=3|gc=61.2 0 + chr1 970621 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk GSUB read field values from multiple text files

My program run without error. The problem I am having. The program isn't outputting field values with the column headers to file.txt. Each of the column headers in file.txt has no data. MEMSIZE SECOND SASFoundation Filename The output results in file.txt should show: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dellanicholson
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to adjust coordinates in field based on sequential numbers in another field

I am trying to output a tab-delimited result that uses the data from a tab-delimited file to combine and subtract specific lines. If $4 matches in each line then the first matching sequential $6 value is added to $2, unless the value is 1, then the original $2 is used (like in the case of line... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to update field using matching value in file1 and substring in field in file2

In the awk below I am trying to set/update the value of $14 in file2 in bold, using the matching NM_ in $12 or $9 in file2 with the NM_ in $2 of file1. The lengths of $9 and $12 can be variable but what is consistent is the start pattern will always be NM_ and the end pattern is always ;... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with getting awk to multiply a field by a value set based on condition of another field

Hi, So awk is driving me crazy on this one. I have searched everywhere and read man, docs and every related post Google can find and still no luck. The actual files I need to run this on are sensitive in nature, but it is the same thing as if I needed to calculate weighted grades for multiple... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: cotilloe
15 Replies
pilot-addresses(1)						    PILOT-LINK							pilot-addresses(1)

NAME
pilot-addresses - Read and write address book databases to and from a Palm handheld. SECTION
pilot-link: Userland conduits LOCATION
./src SYNOPSIS
pilot-addresses [-p|--port <port>] [--version] [-?|--help] [--usage] [-q|--quiet] [--delete-all] [-t|--delimiter INT] [-d|--delete-cate- gory category ] [-c|--category category] [-a|--augment] [-r|--read file] [-w|--write file ] [-C|--human-readable] DESCRIPTION
pilot-addresses allows the user to read all entries from a Palm handheld such as those made by Palm, Handspring, Handera, TRGPro, Sony or other Palm handheld in the Palm Address Book application, write new entries into the database, and delete a category or delete all entries in the database. COMMANDS
Provide exactly one of --read or --write. -r, --read=<file> Reads records from <file> and install them to the Palm Address Book application. (Use the -w <file> option to get a sample "template file" for input records to see how the fields are laid out). -w, --write=file Reads all address book records from the Palm Address Book application and writes them into file OPTIONS
pilot-addresses options -a, --augment Augments fields in address book records with additional information. The augmented information is placed before and separated from the field with a semi-colon, (;). Augmented information can include any of the following below. category # Placed in front of each record or.. Placed in front of each phone number field: ["Work"|"Home"|"Fax"|"Other"|"E-mail"|"Main"|"Pager"|"Mobile"] Empty fields are not augmented. -c, --category=category Install records to category category by default. Normally pilot-addresses uses the Unfiled category by default. This option is overridden by the category specified in the record with the -a option. -d, --delete-category Delete all records in the specified category category before installing new records. Note that the long name of this option has changed since 0.11.8 -D, --delete-all Delete all address book records in all categories. Obviously, be very careful with this one. Note that the long name of this option has changed since 0.11.8 -t, --delimiter INT Include category in each record, use the delimiter specified to separate all fields of a record. Delimiters are specified as follows: 3=tab, 2=;, 1=,. This overrides the default delimiter of comma between fields and semi-colon between a field's augmented information. (Please note that this may generate confusing results when used with the -a option.) Note that the long name of this option has changed since 0.11.8 -T, --titles Obsolete. This option has been removed since 0.11.8 -C|--human-readable Write generic human-readable output instead of CSV. Conduit Options -p, --port <port> Use device file <port> to communicate with the Palm handheld. If this is not specified, pilot-addresses will look for the $PILOTPORT environment variable. If neither are found or supplied, pilot-addresses will print the usage information. -q, --quiet Suppress 'Hit HotSync button' message -v, --version Display version of pilot-addresses and exit without connecting. Help Options -h, --help Display the help synopsis for pilot-addresses and exit without connecting. --usage Display a brief usage message and exit without connecting. USAGE
The program will connect to the Palm handheld, and perform the requested read or write operation specified by the user. EXAMPLES
To write all address records in a Palm to the file addrbook.csv: pilot-addresses -w addrbook.csv or pilot-addresses -p /dev/pilot -w addrbook.csv To read the address book records in the file addrbook.csv and install them onto the Palm: pilot-addresses -r addrbook.csv To read the address book records in the file addrbook.csv and place them into the Palm address book database category Special after first deleting all current records in the Special category on the palm: pilot-addresses -c Special -d Special -r addrbook.csv AUTHOR
pilot-addresses originally written by Kenneth Albanowski, this manual page was originally written by Robert Wittig <bob.wittig@gt.org> and later updated by David A. Desrosiers <hacker@gnu-designs.com> and Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk>. REPORTING BUGS
We have an online bug tracker. Using this is the only way to ensure that your bugs are recorded and that we can track them until they are resolved or closed. Reporting bugs via email, while easy, is not very useful in terms of accountability. Please point your browser to http://bugs.pilot-link.org: http://bugs.pilot-link.org and report your bugs and issues there. COPYRIGHT
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA. SEE ALSO
addresses(1) pilot-link(7) 0.12.5 Copyright 1996-2007 FSF pilot-addresses(1)