Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Perm settings
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Perm settings Post 302247623 by zaxxon on Thursday 16th of October 2008 06:15:28 AM
Old 10-16-2008
Having 1 user which many people use might be no good idea. To have a bit more of control, I suggest you create a group and put all those users that should have access to that file into that group and just assign that group to that file with chgrp.
The user which this file belongs can be for example the user "nobody" so no user owns that file, but all in the group can use it with the rights you've set.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

change semaphore perm

Hi, I've a problem with this simple code about of semaphore: #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<semaphore.h> #include<sys/types.h> #include<sys/mman.h> #include<sys/fcntl.h> #define SemName "/SEM_1" int main (int argc, char **argv) { char name;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: FastMagister
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find -perm query

I was going through a find tutorial and just couldn't get it...can someone explain it like he/she would explain a brain damaged dodo? "find allows you to specify a pattern that can be bit-wise ANDed with the permissions of the file. Simply put a minus sign before the octal value. The group write... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: napolayan
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perm bits

hi, in other previous post, someone suggested to set the " perm bits " to lock the file such that preventing others write to that same file, could someone please explain exactly what is perm bits and how can I achieve the desired result? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wild card in find perm

Hi, Is there a way to use find command to list the directories for certain permissions. I know we can use find . -type d -perm nnn, where nnn is the permission number . However I wold like to know if I wanna search for wild card permissions i.e 75* / 7* / 55* , as i do not know the actual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: braindrain
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Access file permission settings from Windows

Looking to see if there is a tool/crawler that could export the file permissions to a windows for a unix system ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matvrix
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with find -perm option

How to find all files for instance that match the permission rwxr*x--- where * is a wildcard which can be optionally asserted but all the others must match? Thanks in advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevensw
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

Sudo perm to troubleshooting

I am building an access template of what types of commands I will need sudo, to support an installed application and view log files in general what commands are recommended is there a general of what would be useful on Red Hat? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to delete directory even with 777 perm

Hi, I have an 'empty' directory 'tmp' of which I am the owner and 777 permission. But when I try to delete the directory using rmdir or rm command, it gives error. Command prompt snapshot: => uname SunOS ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: platinum81
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find directory listing from root to all files in tree format with details of perm/own/grp?

Hi, My apologies if my query is already available on this forum but I am new and could not find. I need a script to list all directories/sub directories and files with permissions/groups/owners. The script would run from home directory and should capture every directory. How do I do this? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 8709711
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

SUDOERS file settings Incorrect

1. I have user temp1 belonging to techx group $ id uid=1006(temp1) gid=1002(techx) groups=1002(techx) 2. We have user tomcat belonging to webadm group $ id uid=1017(tomcat) gid=1001(webadm) groups=1001(webadm) 3. We have user root belonging to root group. $ id uid=0(root) gid=0(root)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
CHGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  CHGRP(1)

NAME
chgrp -- change group SYNOPSIS
chgrp [-R [-H | -L | -P]] [-fhv] group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chgrp utility sets the group ID of the file named by each file operand to the group ID specified by the group operand. Options: -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. -R Change the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -f The force option ignores errors, except for usage errors and doesn't query about strange modes (unless the user does not have proper permissions). -h If file is a symbolic link, the group of the link is changed. -v Cause chgrp to be verbose, showing files as they are processed. If -h is not given, unless the -H or -L option is set, chgrp on a symbolic link always succeeds and has no effect. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The group operand can be either a group name from the group database, or a numeric group ID. Since it is valid to have a group name that is numeric (and doesn't have the numeric ID that matches its name) the name lookup is always done first. Preceding the ID with a ``#'' charac- ter will force it to be taken as a number. The user invoking chgrp must belong to the specified group and be the owner of the file, or be the super-user. Unless invoked by the super-user, chgrp clears the set-user-id and set-group-id bits on a file to prevent accidental or mischievous creation of set-user-id or set-group-id programs. The chgrp utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. FILES
/etc/group Group ID file SEE ALSO
chown(2), lchown(2), fts(3), group(5), passwd(5), symlink(7), chown(8) STANDARDS
The chgrp utility is expected to be POSIX 1003.2 compatible. The -v option and the use of ``#'' to force a numeric group ID are extensions to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
September 25, 2003 BSD