Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help assembling script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help assembling script Post 302247436 by stumpyuk on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 05:33:29 PM
Old 10-15-2008
Help assembling script

I am trying to figure out how to write a bash script to process a file in order to make it more user readable. The file to be processed is quite uniform, every line starts with a 32 bit Unix timestamp in hexadecimal format, then a single tab charcter (0x09) then a string of text.
What I want to do is replace the hexadecimal epoch timestamp with a human readable time stamp. My plan is to first convert and substitute the hexadecimal to decimal then convert and substitute that with human readable time stamp. I have worked out how to do each step but not how to draw it all together.
To convert the hexadecimal to decimal I have come up with

Code:
for hexa in `cat input.txt | awk '{ print $1}'` ; do perl -e '${$deci=0x'$hexa'};print "$deci\n"' ; done

Then to convert the decimal to human readable is simply:
Code:
date -d @$deci

I want to be able to execute the script with the input filename as the argument. I guess I need to use sed or awk? I am not great with these commands just yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

create a shell script that calls another script and and an awk script

Hi guys I have a shell script that executes sql statemets and sends the output to a file.the script takes in parameters executes sql and sends the result to an output file. #!/bin/sh echo " $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7 isql -w400 -U$2 -S$5 -P$3 << xxx use $4 go print"**Changes to the table... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding, copying, assembling

Hi everybody, I've been running some analyses, the results of which have been stored in a sequential manner with a directory structure like step0, step1, step2, ... for iterations 0-2, for example. Each iteration contains several nested folders, with three pieces of information I need. I need to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JDenton
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assembling the Pieces of a Regular Expression

Hello all. I'm scripting in ksh and trying to put together a regular expression. I think my logic is sound, but I'm doing the head-against-the-wall routine while trying to put the individual pieces together. Can anybody lend some suggestions to the below problem? I'm taking a date in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael_K
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script will keep checking running status of another script and also restart called script at night

I am using blow script :-- #!/bin/bash FIND=$(ps -elf | grep "snmp_trap.sh" | grep -v grep) #check snmp_trap.sh is running or not if then # echo "process found" exit 0; else echo "process not found" exec /home/Ketan_r /snmp_trap.sh 2>&1 & disown -h ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling a script from master script to get value from called script

I am trying to call a script(callingscript.sh) from a master script(masterscript.sh) to get string type value from calling script to master script. I have used scripts mentioned below. #masterscript.sh ./callingscript.sh echo $fileExist #callingscript.sh echo "The script is called"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj Roy
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching string and assembling

I have been thinking how to address this particular task but is way beyond my knowledge. I have a reference sequence, something like this: >Reference AGAGAGACCTGGAGAGAGAGTGACGATGAGCAGTGACGATGACGTACGATAGCAGTAGACGCA and a input.txt file with thousand of short sequences, something like this ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.12.3 2011-06-11 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)