Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Counting names
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting names Post 302247391 by TehOne on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 03:34:15 PM
Old 10-15-2008
Okey I got it working but it's not as I'd like it to be.... I'd need to have it in memory and not file.... any ideas?

Last edited by TehOne; 10-15-2008 at 05:51 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting and sort

Hello friends, I have the following data: abc-xyz abc = 0-999 xyz = 0-999 and there are 10000 lines or more: Example of data file: 123000 123001 123004 123005 123004 123004 123008 123008 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting

Hi, I want to count how many rows are in a file for a specific column. eg. K NM K NM K NM K JK K NM K JK K NM so the file is tab-delimited. I want to count how many rows are in column 2 and how many NMs there are. I used awk awk '{OFS="\t"}; {count++} {print i,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting

Hi, The following output shows how many pmon process are started by users named : oracle or yoavb $ ps -ef |grep pmon |grep -v grep |grep -v ipmon oracle 11268 1 0 Sep 2 ? 36:00 ora_pmon_qerp oracle 17496 1 0 Oct 11 ? 8:58 ora_pmon_bcv oracle 15081 1 0 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting using awk

Hi, I want to perform a task using shell script. I am new to awk programming and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the following 3 files (for example) file1: Name count Symbol chr1_1_50 10 XXXX chr3_101_150 30 YYYY File2: Name ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diya123
13 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting # of lines

Counting number of lines: sp I am trying to figure out a script to count the number of text files in cywig and have it give me a number (as the answer) any help would be appreciated. I am new here, so be gentle :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: unicksjp
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alphabet counting

I have a text file in the following format CCCCCGCCCCCCCCCCcCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC AAAATAAAAAAAAAAAaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TGTTTTTTTTTTTTGGtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT TTTT-TTTTTTTTTCTtTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT Each row/line will have 32 letters and each line will only have multiple occurrences of 2 letters out of a pool... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting?

Hi all, I promise this is my very last dumb question.. but how to you count how many unique names you have. My dataset is: >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac4 egege >Bac8 dgrjh >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac1 afdsgrr >Bac8 dgrjh What i want to know is that how many unique names there is, so the output would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Iifa
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies
CAP_INIT(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       CAP_INIT(3)

NAME
cap_init, cap_free, cap_dup - capability data object storage management SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/capability.h> cap_t cap_init(void); int cap_free(void *obj_d); cap_t cap_dup(cap_t cap_p); Link with -lcap. DESCRIPTION
The capabilities associated with a file or process are never edited directly. Instead, working storage is allocated to contain a represen- tation of the capability state. Capabilities are edited and manipulated only within this working storage area. Once editing of the capa- bility state is complete, the updated capability state is used to replace the capability state associated with the file or process. cap_init() creates a capability state in working storage and returns a pointer to the capability state. The initial value of all flags are cleared. The caller should free any releasable memory, when the capability state in working storage is no longer required, by calling cap_free() with the cap_t as an argument. cap_free() liberates any releasable memory that has been allocated to the capability state identified by obj_d. The obj_d argument may identify either a cap_t entity, or a char * entity allocated by the cap_to_text() function. cap_dup() returns a duplicate capability state in working storage given by the source object cap_p, allocating any memory necessary, and returning a pointer to the newly created capability state. Once duplicated, no operation on either capability state affects the other in any way. When the duplicated capability state in working storage is no longer required, the caller should free any releasable memory by calling cap_free() with the cap_t as an argument. RETURN VALUE
cap_init() and cap_dup() return a non-NULL value on success, and NULL on failure. cap_free() returns zero on success, and -1 on failure. On failure, errno is set to EINVAL or ENOMEM. CONFORMING TO
These functions are specified in the withdrawn POSIX.1e draft specification. SEE ALSO
libcap(3), cap_clear(3), cap_copy_ext(3), cap_from_text(3), cap_get_file(3), cap_get_proc(3), capabilities(7) 2008-05-11 CAP_INIT(3)