Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash 'shopt' doubt
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash 'shopt' doubt Post 302247287 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 10:29:56 AM
Old 10-15-2008

bash's extended pattern matching only works on filename expansion, not on parameter expansion.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripting doubt

i need to check if any user has logged-in more than once in different terminals and then print the count of those login, so i wrote this command, who -H | wc -l but i feel its not accurate , something is wrong ,i have been trying for a long time by trial n error to solve it, but i need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiphias
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

colors in BASH, doubt with script

I was trying to see all combinations of foreground and background colors in BASH. This works fine for me, echo -e '\E[37;46m TEXT' but when I tried the below script, the variables i and j do not expand. #!/bin/sh for i in `seq 30 37` # foreground do for j in `seq 40... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shopt -s nullglob

Hi, I am using BASH. In a directory there are files that match either of the following 2 patterns: *.L1A_AC* or S*.L1A_MLAC* I would like to write a script that will include a for loop, where for each file in the directory, a certain function will be performed. For example: for FILE in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt??

I jus want to know the meaning of the below command line(exclamation following that re-direction) sqlplus -s `cat /home/sample.txt` <<! Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nohup
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doubt

Hi , Struck with one basic question. Iam expecting word count of 4 where "wc" is showing as 5 . # echo "abcd" | wc 1 1 5 # echo abcd | wc 1 1 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchal_boddu
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell scripting doubt

Hello All, I am setting up a cron job, where i am calling a shell script to make few builds. I got struck at a point, need some expert inputs to proceed further. The script is categorized in 5 parts and in the last part while building software it asks for few questions like:- 1. Build mode... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Doubt

How to create a file with specific size in RHEL6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sashi Kanth A
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Doubt

in my shell script requirement is to search and replace the file with variable so i use the following command sed -i "s/abc/$SCHEMA/g" table.sql later when the script runs sqlplus username/pwd@Table& this & is not letting the variable to replace the value inside the file .please let me know... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhuvan1
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shopt -s histappend

What is the point of this? Whenever I close my shell it appends to the history file without adding this. I have never seen it overwrite my history file. # When the shell exits, append to the history file instead of overwriting it shopt -s histappend (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies
BASHBUG(1)						      General Commands Manual							BASHBUG(1)

NAME
bashbug - report a bug in bash SYNOPSIS
bashbug [--version] [--help] [email-address] DESCRIPTION
bashbug is a shell script to help the user compose and mail bug reports concerning bash in a standard format. bashbug invokes the editor specified by the environment variable EDITOR on a temporary copy of the bug report format outline. The user must fill in the appropriate fields and exit the editor. bashbug then mails the completed report to bug-bash@gnu.org, or email-address. If the report cannot be mailed, it is saved in the file dead.bashbug in the invoking user's home directory. The bug report format outline consists of several sections. The first section provides information about the machine, operating system, the bash version, and the compilation environment. The second section should be filled in with a description of the bug. The third sec- tion should be a description of how to reproduce the bug. The optional fourth section is for a proposed fix. Fixes are encouraged. ENVIRONMENT
bashbug will utilize the following environment variables if they exist: EDITOR Specifies the preferred editor. If EDITOR is not set, bashbug defaults to emacs. HOME Directory in which the failed bug report is saved if the mail fails. TMPDIR Directory in which to create temporary files and directories. SEE ALSO
bash(1) AUTHORS
Brian Fox, Free Software Foundation bfox@gnu.org Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University chet@po.cwru.edu GNU Bash-4.0 1998 July 30 BASHBUG(1)