Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Wanted: Geographically distributed filesystem solution Post 302247138 by otheus on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 04:01:49 AM
Old 10-15-2008
Wanted: Geographically distributed filesystem solution

I'm looking for a means to ensure that servers in the two or three datacenters, connected in a ring via IP through two ISPs, can distribute load and/or replicate data among at least two SAN-class disk devices.

I want to evaluate several solutions, and I'm open to solutions ranging from free, off-the-shelf, off-the-top-shelf (ie, really expensive), to custom designed by leading tech suppliers.

(Please help)

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Distributed

I've downloaded distributed latest build for dnetc, and I think i installed it. Not sure where the excicuteable would be. Any help? i realize this is a little ambigious, so I can allways reintstall it if i know how to put it in a specific directory.. does anyone know if VNC works for the Intel... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: veitcha
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris Filesystem vs. Windows FileSystem

Hi guys! Could you tell me what's the difference of filesystem of Solaris to filesystem of Windows? I need to compare both. I have read some over the net but it's so much technical. Could you explain it in a more simpler term? I am new to Solaris. Hope you help me guys. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arah
4 Replies

4. AIX

Mount Filesystem in AIX Unable to read /etc/filesystem

Dear all, We are facing prolem when we are going to mount AIX filesystem, the system returned the following error 0506-307The AFopen call failed : A file or directory in the path name does not exist. But when we ls filesystems in the /etc/ directory it show -rw-r--r-- 0 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

distributed filesystem over internet/VPN

On this forum was already posted similar question, but it was 4 years ago and didn't give me answers. I have two groups of engineers that works in far locations connected via VPN. Physically, the connection is a DSL. Currently we have a linux server in one location that provide files over... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Domino
4 Replies
vblade-persist(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 vblade-persist(8)

NAME
vblade-persist - manage persistent exported ATA-over-Ethernet devices SYNOPSIS
vblade-persist ls [--no-header] vblade-persist setup shelf slot netif blockdev vblade-persist destroy shelf slot vblade-persist { start | stop | restart | auto | noauto } shelf slot vblade-persist { start | stop | restart | auto | noauto } all vblade-persist mac shelf slot { ls | clear } vblade-persist mac shelf slot { add | del } [ addr ... ] DESCRIPTION
The vblade-persist script is used to show and manipulate persistently-exported ATA-over-Ethernet devices. It has a simple subcommand syn- tax. Persistent AoE device exports can be configured to come up at boot time. For each running persistent AoE export, a symlink pointing to the backing device is created in /dev/etherd/, mirroring the devices seen by clients of the AoE device. MANAGEMENT SUBCOMMANDS
ls [--noheader] vblade-persist ls shows all existing persistent AoE exports. The columns of the output are, in order: AoE Shelf, AoE Slot, Network Inter- face, Backing Device, AutoStart, Status. AutoStart is either "auto" (start automatically at boot), or "noauto" (don't start automatically at boot). Status should be either "run" (running) or "down" (not running). The optional --no-header argument suppresses the header line. This may be convenient for machine-parseable output. setup shelf slot netif source vblade-persist setup creates a new persistent exported AoE block device. You must supply all four additional arguments. These are the same arguments supplied to vblade(8). You should specify source using an absolute path. New devices set up this way are noauto (not brought up automatically at boot) and down (not exported immediately). destroy shelf slot vblade-persist destroy halts any running exported AoE block device managed by vblade-persist and removes the service directory used to man- age it. start shelf slot stop shelf slot restart shelf slot These commands control a specific exported AoE device. Instead of specifying shelf and slot , you can also provide the special keyword all which will act on every exported AoE device. auto shelf slot noauto shelf slot These commands control whether a specific exported AoE device should be started automatically ( auto ) or not ( noauto ) at system boot time. Instead of specifying shelf and slot , you can also provide the special keyword all which will act on every exported AoE device. MAC-ADDRESS FILTERING You can use vblade-persist to restrict access to specific exports by MAC address, using the mac subcommand. mac shelf slot ls List all MAC addresses allowed to access the specified device, one per line. If the list is empty, no MAC address limits are imposed on this device. mac shelf slot clear Remove all MAC address filtering from the specified device. No MAC address limits will be imposed on this device. mac shelf slot add [ addr ... ] Add a MAC address (or more than one) to the list of allowed addresses for the specified device. Note that if there were no MAC addresses listed previously, this will enable MAC address filtering for the device. mac shelf slot del [ addr ... ] Remove a MAC address (or more than one) from the list of allowed addresses for the specific device. Note that if you remove all the MAC addresses from the list, this will disable MAC address filtering for the device. EXAMPLES
Set up /dev/sda2 as shelf 2, slot 3 on the network served by interface eth0. Make sure it starts automatically at boot, and start it up now: vblade-persist setup 2 3 eth0 /dev/sda2 vblade-persist auto 2 3 vblade-persist start 2 3 Limit that same export to MAC addresses aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff and 11:22:33:44:55:66: vblade-persist mac 2 3 add aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff 11:22:33:44:55:66 Remove all MAC address restrictions on the same export: vblade-persist mac 2 3 clear BUGS
You can't currently use the vblade-persist framework to export a device (or two) with the same shelf/slot identifier on two different net- work interfaces. DEPENDENCIES
The exports themselves are handled by vblade(8). Supervision of the exports and convenient management is enabled by runsv(8), from the runit suite. SEE ALSO
vblade(8), runsv(8) AUTHOR
Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> vblade-persist 2007-11-11 vblade-persist(8)