Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting run awk on one file for each line in a second file Post 302247108 by summer_cherry on Wednesday 15th of October 2008 02:45:43 AM
Old 10-15-2008
Code:
nawk '{
if(NR==FNR)
	arr[$1]++
else
	brr[$5]=sprintf("%s %s",brr[$5],$1)
}
END{
for(i in arr)
	if(brr[i]!="")
		print i" "brr[i]
}
' file1 file2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk not working due to missing new line character at last line of file

Hi, My awk program is failing. I figured out using command od -c filename that the last line of the file doesnt end with a new line character. Mine is an automated process because of this data is missing. How do i handle this? I want to append new line character at the end of last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file inside awk and processing line by line

Hi Sorry to multipost. I am opening the new thread because the earlier threads head was misleading to my current doubt. and i am stuck. list=`cat /u/Test/programs`; psg "ServTest" | awk -v listawk=$list '{ cmd_name=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 for(pgmname in listawk) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk concatenate every line of a file in a single line

I have several hundreds of tiny files which need to be concatenated into one single line and all those in a single file. Some files have several blank lines. Tried to use this script but failed on it. awk 'END { print r } r && !/^/ { print FILENAME, r; r = "" }{ r = r ? r $0 : $0 }' *.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] line by line processing the same file

Hey, not too good at this, so I only managed a clumsy and SLOW solution to my problem that needs a drastic speed up. Any ideas how I write the following in awk only? Code is supposed to do... For every line read column values $6, $7, $8 and do a calculation with the same column values of every... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: origamisven
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a command on each line of a text file

Say I have a text file, with several lines. Each line may contain spaces or the # symbol. For each line, I want to pass that line as the path of a file, in order to add it to a tar file. I've tried this but doesn't work: cat contents.txt | xargs -0 `tar -uvf contents.tar $1`Any ideas? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Honey, I broke awk! (duplicate line removal in 30M line 3.7GB csv file)

I have a script that builds a database ~30 million lines, ~3.7 GB .cvs file. After multiple optimzations It takes about 62 min to bring in and parse all the files and used to take 10 min to remove duplicates until I was requested to add another column. I am using the highly optimized awk code: awk... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
34 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read in txt file and run a different command for each line

hi, i'm trying to write a tcsh script that reads in a text file (one column) and the runs a different command for each line of text. i've found lots of example commands for bash, but not for tcsh. can anyone give me a hint? thanks, jill (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: giuinha
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing string from last field of the nth line of file to start (or end) of each line (awk I think)

My file (the output of an experiment) starts off looking like this, _____________________________________________________________ Subjects incorporated to date: 001 Data file started on machine PKSHS260-05CP ********************************************************************** Subject 1,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: samonl
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to update file with partial matching line in another file and append text

In the awk below I am trying to cp and paste each matching line in f2 to $3 in f1 if $2 of f1 is in the line in f2 somewhere. There will always be a match (usually more then 1) and my actual data is much larger (several hundreds of lines) in both f1 and f2. When the line in f2 is pasted to $3 in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
PG_FETCH_ARRAY(3)														 PG_FETCH_ARRAY(3)

pg_fetch_array - Fetch a row as an array

SYNOPSIS
array pg_fetch_array (resource $result, [int $row], [int $result_type = PGSQL_BOTH]) DESCRIPTION
pg_fetch_array(3) returns an array that corresponds to the fetched row (record). pg_fetch_array(3) is an extended version of pg_fetch_row(3). In addition to storing the data in the numeric indices (field number) to the result array, it can also store the data using associative indices (field name). It stores both indicies by default. Note This function sets NULL fields to the PHP NULL value. pg_fetch_array(3) is NOT significantly slower than using pg_fetch_row(3), and is significantly easier to use. PARAMETERS
o $result - PostgreSQL query result resource, returned by pg_query(3), pg_query_params(3) or pg_execute(3) (among others). o $row - Row number in result to fetch. Rows are numbered from 0 upwards. If omitted or NULL, the next row is fetched. o $result_type - An optional parameter that controls how the returned array is indexed. $result_type is a constant and can take the following values: PGSQL_ASSOC, PGSQL_NUM and PGSQL_BOTH. Using PGSQL_NUM, pg_fetch_array(3) will return an array with numerical indices, using PGSQL_ASSOC it will return only associative indices while PGSQL_BOTH, the default, will return both numerical and associa- tive indices. RETURN VALUES
An array indexed numerically (beginning with 0) or associatively (indexed by field name), or both. Each value in the array is represented as a string. Database NULL values are returned as NULL. FALSE is returned if $row exceeds the number of rows in the set, there are no more rows, or on any other error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 pg_fetch_array(3) example <?php $conn = pg_pconnect("dbname=publisher"); if (!$conn) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $result = pg_query($conn, "SELECT author, email FROM authors"); if (!$result) { echo "An error occurred. "; exit; } $arr = pg_fetch_array($result, 0, PGSQL_NUM); echo $arr[0] . " <- Row 1 Author "; echo $arr[1] . " <- Row 1 E-mail "; // As of PHP 4.1.0, the row parameter is optional; NULL can be passed instead, // to pass a result_type. Successive calls to pg_fetch_array will return the // next row. $arr = pg_fetch_array($result, NULL, PGSQL_ASSOC); echo $arr["author"] . " <- Row 2 Author "; echo $arr["email"] . " <- Row 2 E-mail "; $arr = pg_fetch_array($result); echo $arr["author"] . " <- Row 3 Author "; echo $arr[1] . " <- Row 3 E-mail "; ?> SEE ALSO
pg_fetch_row(3), pg_fetch_object(3), pg_fetch_result(3). PHP Documentation Group PG_FETCH_ARRAY(3)