Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Shortlived Process Don't Appear in 'top' or 'ps' Post 302246835 by Perderabo on Tuesday 14th of October 2008 01:33:55 PM
Old 10-14-2008
To answer your questions, yes it is possible for short-lived processes to never show up. In fact it is very unlikely that a short lived process will show up in ps or top. Those programs read the process table with techniques that are almost as fast as a memory to memory data move. Once they have this snapshot, they prepare a report. top repeats this every n seconds, but top presents you with a program...it does not want to show all processes, just the "top" ones. You have a better shot with ps. A short-lived process can be gone in well under a tenth of a second.... let's say that yours is lasting exactly one tenth of a second... That means that ps must capture a process table snapshot sometime during that tenth of a second. This is very hard to arrange in a reliable fashion. A very clever wrapper program that runs both ps and your program nearly simultaneously might be able to do it.

But if the program shows up in glance but not ps/top, I tend to suspect something else. It could be that the program is destroying it's command line. You might try: ps -el and see if it shows up.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top shows stopped process

When I run the top command, it shows 1 process as being Stopped. This is not a zombie, but simply a stopped process. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tell which process this is, nor why it is in a stopped state? Any way of finding this out? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IrishRogue
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Top running process

Hi, I have an oracle process running on top for a week now, but I couldnt see the same process with in oracle. how do I know what this process is? -GK P.S: when I say i didn't see within oracle, what I mean is I didn't see this process through oracle utility which shows all the oracle process (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: caprikar
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please help with Top and SIZE of process

Hi, what I want to do is get the SIZE of a particular process from top into a shell script so I can put it in a while loop. I want to display a warning message when the process size gets up to a certain amount, but I don't know how to get that one line spit out from Top and thrown into my shell... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satraver
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

to understand stopped process in top

Hi, top process is shows like this in solaris server oracle 8i running: load averages: 5.01, 3.35, 2.82 18:24:45 344 processes: 332 sleeping, 5 running, 2 stopped, 5 on cpu CPU states: 22.2% idle, 29.6% user, 14.7% kernel, 33.5% iowait, 0.0% swap... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Monitor a Process with Top.

Hi, I have written a script to monitor a Process with the help of top command. This is my script. ====================== #!/bin/sh DATE=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` HOME=/home/xmp/testing/xmp_report RADIUS_PID=`xms -xmp sh pr | grep "RADIUS.iamsp02ldv" |awk '{ print $3 }'` PSE_PID=`xms -xmp sh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process from a file or directly with top

i have edited a script to kill an exact mysql process is causing the high load on the server, my problem is, kill dont kill it! script: #!/bin/sh top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld | awk '{print $1}' > pid proc='cat pid' kill -9 $proc or i try with kill -9 `top -n 1 -u mysql | grep mysqld... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandro
8 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to find memory taken by a process using top command?

I wanted to know how to find the memory taken by a process using top command. The output of the top command is as follows as an example: Mem: 13333364k total, 13238904k used, 94460k free, 623640k buffers Swap: 25165816k total, 112k used, 25165704k free, 4572904k cached PID USER ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discovering TOP process on virtual machine

Hello, on my openvz server, i can output load averages of containers: Code: # vzlist -o laverage,ctid -H 0.00/0.00/0.00 130 0.10/0.10/0.10 150 2.26/2.28/2.28 190please which command/script to use so it outputs top 1 or 2 processes on the linux system with 2.26 laverage? i mean, i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: postcd
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill top 5 memory uses process

Hi All, how to kill 5 top memory used process in my hp-ux. Thanks, Kki (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kki
9 Replies
dxproctuner(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    dxproctuner(8)

NAME
dxproctuner - Manages and monitors system processes SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxproctuner OPTIONS
Process Tuner accepts all of the standard X Toolkit command line options, which are documented in the OPTIONS section in the X(1X) refer- ence page. DESCRIPTION
The Process Tuner application, dxproctuner, is used to monitor and manage processes. Use Process Tuner to: Display a list of processes and their characteristics Display the processes running for yourself or all users Display and modify process priorities Send a signal to a process The Process Tuner application can be invoked from the CDE Application Manager from the following categories: Application Group: System_Admin System Admin Subgroup: MonitoringTuning EXAMPLES
To start Process Tuner from the command line, enter: dxproctuner You can view the Process Tuner online help volume without running the application. To open the Process Tuner help volume from the command line, enter the following command: /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/Dxproctuner.sdl FILES
Contains user preferences that control the appearance of the application Contains the Process Tuner application executable Contains the Process Tuner help volume Contains the default values for the application's X resources SEE ALSO
Commands: kill(1), ps(1), X(1X) System Calls: exit(2), kill(2), sigaction(2) Files: signal(4) dxproctuner(8)