Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using shell to get the last character in a line Post 302246741 by joeyg on Tuesday 14th of October 2008 09:21:50 AM
Old 10-14-2008
Hammer & Screwdriver Can you use this approach?

Code:
> echo "hello" | awk '{print substr($0,length,1)}'
o
> echo "hello smiley" | awk '{print substr($0,length,1)}'
y

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk not working due to missing new line character at last line of file

Hi, My awk program is failing. I figured out using command od -c filename that the last line of the file doesnt end with a new line character. Mine is an automated process because of this data is missing. How do i handle this? I want to append new line character at the end of last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script: moving end of line character

Hello. I have a file (old.txt) that I need to copy into another file (new.txt). Each line on old.txt ends with CR/LF but the position of CR/LF varies from one record to another. I need to copy each line of record to new.txt and move CR/LF in pos 165. Can I use awk to achieve this? How?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete new line character ( - ) , korn shell

Hi guys , i need help so bad on this issue.. Basically i have to delete the line continuation symbol of first column variable and add the truncated part of that word in next line to first line. here i written sample 3 lines but originally i have bunch of lines in that file. client1_day- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrismorgan
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

5. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help removing last character of every line if certain character

I need help removing the last character of every line if it is a certain character. For example I need to get rid of a % character if it is in the last position. Input: aaa% %bbb ccc d%dd% Output should be: aaa %bbb ccc d%dd I tried this but it gets rid of all of the % characters.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raptor25
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is shell's next line character '\' the cause of this issue ?

Oracle version: 11.2.0.1 /Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) Hi, impdp is a command line utility in oracle to import data into a DB schema. Typically impdp command along with its parameters is run in a single line like impdp \'/ as sysdba\' DIRECTORY=DATA_PUMP_DIR... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: delete on each line before a character and after a character

Hi there, A total sed noob here. Is there a way using sed to delete everything before a character AND after another character on each line in a file? The deletion should also delete the indicating characters(here: an opening and a closing parenthesis). The original file would look like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bnbsd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
CHSH(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 CHSH(1)