Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users commands after .profile modification not working Post 302246487 by jaiankur on Monday 13th of October 2008 09:45:49 PM
Old 10-13-2008
Not sure what exactly the changes you did in .profile; but do login again to run your .profile.

By using . $HOME/.profile (prefacing the script name with a "." ) you are trying to run the script within the context of the login session, Try running by creating the sub shell.

$HOME/.profile

-Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

differnce between working of at and crontab commands

h I would like to know the differnce (both working and how) between at command and crontab.. Thanks in advance Satish D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doddas
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logon profile kill script only partially working

I have been having an issue with the new motorola rf scan guns opening up too many sessions at once. It seems they will open a new connection for no reason, leaving the old one in the background and the user has no idea it is happening. To combat this, I have added the following code to the logon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get shell commands working through ruby?

Hi all, I am a newbie currently trying to execute shell commands from ruby instead of a shell script.(This method is conceived only for solaris so no issues with porting to other OS and all) Eg: Consider the command 'ls" with a shell script ,I would use it like this bash# ls <all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
4 Replies

4. Solaris

/etc/profile file edited. No command working

I have X4500 and I created a user. I wanted to give him root privileges and for editing the sudoers files I typed visudo sudoers. But it said visudo command not found. After googling I found that we need to set path in etc/profile. I edited that and put the following command ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
3 Replies

5. Fedora

wall and write commands are not working

hi friends i am using fedora linux operating system on the server and two clients(with windows os) are connected to it(server ).but here wall and write cmds are not working to send messages from one system to another system . pls help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar_vitam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Commands not working in script file

Hi All, I have created a shell script having some general copying and moving commands. Commands are working fine in Shell but while executing the shell script it is showing an error mv: cannot stat `/apps/orarpt/in/*': No such file or directory command is mv $IN_DIR* $ARCHIVE_DIR where... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maindola.amit
5 Replies

7. Solaris

After giving Bash the .profile settings are not working

I am using Solaris ... I have some settings in my .profile and in .profile iam calling some scripts. After i logged in to that box if i gave "bash" and proceed with my shorcuts(alias) are not working . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

user .profile file not working

Hi All, I tried creating a .profile file but it is not working even after exiting the session. But before that I will give a quick background. I log into UNIX(SUN - ksh) and then SUDO to another user. After that I change DIRECTORY. In this DIRECTORY I tried creating the profile file but it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
4 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

mplayer snapshot commands not working

About 8-12 months ago I wrote a script that pulled together several mplayer commands to perform various activities. One allowed me to press the s-key to take snapshots with my webcam. Useful for recording the sensors I build. Now it: vd=0 bash-4.1$ TV1="-tv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Tilde commands not working

Hi I have a script that it sends emails to various recipients using mailx, but some of the recipients should be sent as BCC, but ~b flag when used in the following line, does not put the gmail address as BCC: echo "node $output is down" | mailx -s "$output not pinging" sadf@xyz.com ~b... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)