Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I identify the last saved log? Post 302246318 by gugs on Monday 13th of October 2008 10:32:01 AM
Old 10-13-2008
Why does this not work?

I have taken the above example and developed a small test script as shown below to do what I want:

NEXT=TEST01
dir='C:/cygwin/var/log/img/aut/'
cmd1="sed -n '/"
echo $cmd1
cmd2=".*\.mqsc$/{p;q}'"
echo $cmd2
echo "$cmd1$NEXT$cmd2" > command.txt
command=$(grep sed command.txt)
ls -1t $dir | grep $NEXT > temp.txt
filename=$($command < temp.txt)

The results I get when I run the script are:
+ NEXT=TEST01
+ dir=C:/cygwin/var/log/img/aut/
+ cmd1='sed -n '\''/'
+ echo sed -n ''\''/'
sed -n '/
+ cmd2='.*\.mqsc$/{p;q}'\'''
+ echo '.*\.mqsc$/{p;q}'\'''
.*\.mqsc$/{p;q}'
+ echo 'sed -n '\''/TEST01.*\.mqsc$/{p;q}'\'''
++ grep sed command.txt
+ command='sed -n '\''/TEST01.*\.mqsc$/{p;q}'\'''
+ ls -1t C:/cygwin/var/log/img/aut/
+ grep TEST01
++ sed -n ''\''/TEST01.*\.mqsc$/{p;q}'\'''
sed: -e expression #1, char 1: unknown command: `''
+ filename=

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

only root's crontab gets not saved

Hi, Something funny is happening over here: when a regular user edits his cron-file (crontab -e) saves and exits vi the correct new cron-file gets installed and saved to disk. But if root does the same, vi saves it but if I then check the cron-file it has the previous contents! I did strace (==... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flok
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sudo file not saved

Hi all, I have edited my sudoers file. I am using visudo command I have added the following lines and saved the file. I am saving the lines as :wq But I am very amazed to see that these lines are not written in the sudoers file. I have retried the above process many times, when I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can STDERR be saved to a variable

Guys i'm trying to save STDERR to a variable for a portion of my ksh script on solaris. I know i can create redirects to files as such: exec 4>/tmp/lava print "This will be saved to /tmp/lava and not screen"; >&4 print "This will be seen on screen" >&2 I want to save the STDOUT of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavascript
4 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Bluefish: where are the preferences saved?

I have just tried out Bluefish as an alternative to my regular text editor. If I save the modified preferences and reboot, the preferences have to be reentered again. Does anyone know which file the preferences are saved in? The command find / -mmin -5 | grep bluefish yields zero hits. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where alias saved?

step 1 # alias alias cp='cp -i' alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias ll='ls -l --color=tty' alias ls='ls --color=tty' alias mv='mv -i' alias rm='rm -i' alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot --show-tilde' step 2 # cat ~/.bashrc # .bashrc (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify log files based on time stamp,zip and then copy..HELP

Hi All, PFB is a requirement. I am new to shell scripting. So plz help. It would be highly appreciated. 1. choose all the log files based on a particular date (files location is '/test/domain')--i.e,we should choose all the files that are modified on 29th November, neither 28th nor 30th 2.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skdas_niladri
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script Not getting Saved

Hi , Script File Is Not Getting Saved This Are The Steps I Am Following For Saving And Executing A Script 1). vi ( To Open Vi Editor ) 2). vi filename ( vi firstprog.ksh) #!bin\kash date 3) !wq :( Saving And Quit) When I Am Saving The Scrpit I Am Getting The Below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anudeepkumar123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Squares in saved code

can you help i am merging 2 files together and saving to a third file with awk and its working with this code awk 'OFS="";NR==FNR{a=$0;next} {print a,"\n","\b",$0}' file1 file2 > file3the problem is in file3 when its saved i get a small square at the start of every 2nd line (see picture) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot access saved file

This may be wrong place to ask. I am currently modifying "stock" configuration file and making slow progress. Run into a snag - twice so far. I can work on the project switching from editing to run all day long, no issue. Next day i cannot access the file to run it. The file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
grablogs.conf(4)						   File Formats 						  grablogs.conf(4)

NAME
grablogs.conf - grablogs configuration for libgrablogs.so of the plugins of gnome-system-log file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf DESCRIPTION
The libgrablogs.so is a plugin for gnome-system-log(1), it colloct the log files from the system as many as possible. grablogs.conf is a configuration file that contains a set of lines mixed with sh(1) syntax codes and individual log files. libgrablogs.so will read the file try to get a log files list for gnome-system-log(1). Users can copy the file into $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p` to overwrite the system default one. The grablogs.conf file contains the following configuration categories: [configs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a config file of System. The plugin will open the config file and try to find all system paths of the logs. [commands] Each line under this category is interpreted as a shell command and will be execute through a pipe. And each line of the out- put of the command will be interpreted as a log path. [logs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a log path. FILES
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf The system default configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p`/grablogs.conf The user specific configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so EMAMPLE
[configs] /etc/syslog.conf [commands] for i in `svcs -aH -o FMRI | grep -v lrc `; do svcprop -p restarter/logfile $i 2>/dev/null || svcprop -q -p restarter/alt_logfile $i 2>/dev/null ; done [logs] /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/cron /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/XFree86.0.log /var/log/auth.log /var/log/cups/error_log SEE ALSO
gnome-system-log(1), pipelog.conf(1) gnome-utils 2.16.0 13 Oct 2006 grablogs.conf(4)