Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: cant boot from solaris CD
Operating Systems Solaris cant boot from solaris CD Post 302245553 by ppass on Friday 10th of October 2008 10:25:50 AM
Old 10-10-2008
cant boot from solaris CD

Hi all ,
I am trying to isntallsolaris 10 using a DVD , But when i try to boot from the OB Prompt i am getting this error :

Rebooting with command: boot cdrom -install
Boot device: /pci@1f,700000/pci@0/pci@1/pci@0/ide@1f/cdrom@0,0:f File and args: -install
Can't read disk label.
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating:

Can't open boot device

Can you please help to diagonise if the problem is from the DVD or the DVD-ROM hardware.

thanks for you help
Cheers
Ppass

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Solaris boot problem

I couldnt get my hands on my solaris 2.6 cd soo i used solaris 7 cd to boot to single user mode. I typed boot cdrom -s it bought me to my root prompt , but when i typed fsck.....nothing happened. It was as though it couldnt go ahead with fscking. it just bought up the prompt again,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lealyz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris dual boot

Hello friends, On sparc 5 with solaris 8 i like to have dual boot with solaris 9. is this correct that the minimum memmory must be 96 mb for dual boot? do you recommand dual boot on unix? solaris 8 will be the testing environment and solaris 9 the production. does any one has this type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep
5 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris liveupgrade will NOT boot into new BE

OK, latest in a loooong trail of errors with no information. I've finally gotten a new BE created on another drive, run liveupgrade on it to bring it from sol10u3 to sol10u8 I luactivate sol10u8 lustatus shows the sol10u8 as the active one init 6 system just starts into 10u3 again. I'm... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awoodby
4 Replies

5. Solaris

x86 Solaris 8 does not boot.

Hello, First of all I must say that I have 0 solaris experience and only some average linux knowledge. One of my friends came to ask for my help today with a Solaris 8 x86 station that would not boot. The system is a pentium 4 1.6 ghz, 1gb ram, 40 gb hdd. When I turn it on, I get ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogusrl
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd)

I am trying to install Solaris x86 using the Jumpstart server. I run the add_install_client command with appropriate options, and reboot my x86 Target box. The installation starts fine and unattended. After the installation completes and the target goes for a re-boot, it does not boot from the HDD... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemalsid
9 Replies

7. Solaris

dual boot solaris/solaris zfs file system

Hi, I am running into a some problems creating a dual boot system of 2 solaris instances using ZFS file system and I was wondering if someone can help me out. First some back ground. I have been asked to change the file system of our server from UFS to ZFS. Currently we are using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: estammis
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris can not boot and restart

Hello, After a restart, solaris 10 can not boot. The attachment picture will show and after 15sec (approximatly) the system restart automatically. If in GRUB i choose failsafe, the system only wants me update to boot, i press y and it shows: updating /dev/dsk/c1d0s0... # after restarting... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mammut3d
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris stuck during boot after reconfigure boot

Hello, I have a problem with my machine that won't boot properly. The story is that I installed a software called apcupsd, which is a control application for my APC battery UPS. I have used version 3.14.10 earlier, but as part of restoring my previously crashed os harddrive I wanted to... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zorken
18 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)