Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I access the create date from Windows after the file has been FTP'd to UNIX ? Post 302245528 by jim mcnamara on Friday 10th of October 2008 09:59:01 AM
Old 10-10-2008
UNIX does not have nor does it preserve a file creation timestamp.
There are
ctime (looks like creation time but is not) is the time of the last inode modification.
inodes are file metadata areas in the filesystem
mtime - last time the file was modified
atime - last time the file was accessed.

If it is imperative to keep the windows creation time, change the destination filename
in FTP to reflect the time.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How send a file from UNIX to Windows with FTP

Hi I'm new working in UNIX, So, I want to know How I can send a file from UNIX to Windows server with FTP. This is my script. ftp -i -n -v <<** open 199.99.99.99 user user1 password1 lcd C01_07_06 /* source/ cd //199.98.98.98/group1/reports /*destination*/ put file1.sh ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edzela
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell to FTP file from Windows to unix

I need your help for a FTP Job to be schedule to copy files from windows to Unix. in a set of time interval. My requirement is as follows. 1.Script should check whether file is available in the windows folder , if available then do FTP to unix server , and then move... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep.kamble
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create folder in windows from unix while FTP

Hi, I would like to know if it's possible to create a folder in a Windows Server while running a ftp script in Unix. The idea is to create a script that searches for different files in folders, and when the file is found, take the path of that file and create it to Windows and ftp the file to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Metalero de Oz
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp the latest file from unix to windows

Hi, I have a ftp script to ftp files from unix to windows. Now i need to pull the latest file from unix to windows. It is not working. ftp -nvi $SERVER > ${FILE_DIR}/NavigationftpLog << EOD user $USER $PWD lcd $FILE_DIR echo "the local directory is $FILE_DIR" cd $Remote_PATH echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script to FTP file from UNIX server to windows

Hi, I am new to this subject.....Can someone please help me out with the script... unix usernm "sdhftst" unix pwd "chsd13" windows usernm "dfghtst" windows pwd "chsd13" path..../xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxxx please can u get me a script...its only one file to get ftp. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: himakiran9
2 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Can Unix access Windows' File through Command Prompt in Unix

Hi all, I wish to know whether Unix can access window's file in Unix's terminal? Apart from that, how to copy files or share files between Window and Unix? I get to know of secure copy, however, my company's Unix does not support the feature of secure copy? Any other method for me to share/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy83
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp an excel file from windows to unix

Hi all.. Please help me on below requirement. I have an excel file ftped from windows to unix location. I am not able to open the file. if i am opening it in vi editor, i am getting only junk characters. I have to make the excel file as .csv file and read the data to put some business... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP XLSX file from UNIX to windows

Hi, Could someone suggest me how to FTP a xlsx file from unix to windows. I can able to transfer xls file from unix to windows successfully. But if i transfer the xlsx file im not able to open, it through error like "The file format or file extension is not valid" Thanks Rathna (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rathnakumar
4 Replies
TMPWATCH(8)						   System Administrator's Manual					       TMPWATCH(8)

NAME
tmpwatch - removes files which haven't been accessed for a period of time SYNOPSIS
tmpwatch [-u|-m|-c] [-MUXadfqstvx] [--verbose] [--force] [--all] [--nodirs] [--nosymlinks] [--test] [--fuser] [--quiet] [--atime|--mtime|--ctime] [--dirmtime] [--exclude path] [--exclude-user user] [--exclude-pattern pattern] time dirs DESCRIPTION
tmpwatch recursively removes files which haven't been accessed for a given time. Normally, it's used to clean up directories which are used for temporary holding space such as /tmp. When changing directories, tmpwatch is very sensitive to possible race conditions and will exit with an error if one is detected. It does not follow symbolic links in the directories it's cleaning (even if a symbolic link is given as its argument), does not switch filesystems (including non-trivial bind mounts), skips lost+found directories owned by the root user, and only removes empty directories, regular files, symbolic links, and on some systems also unused sockets. By default, tmpwatch dates files by their atime (access time), not their mtime (modification time). If files aren't being removed when ls -l implies they should be, use ls -u to examine their atime to see if that explains the problem. If the --atime, --ctime or --mtime options are used in combination, the decision about deleting a file will be based on the maximum of these times. The --dirmtime option implies ignoring atime of directories, even if the --atime option is used. The time parameter defines the threshold for removing files. If the file has not been accessed for time, the file is removed. The time argument is a number with an optional single-character suffix specifying the units: m for minutes, h for hours, d for days. If no suffix is specified, time is in hours. Following this, one or more directories may be given for tmpwatch to clean up. OPTIONS
-u, --atime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's atime (access time). This is the default. Note that the periodic updatedb file system scans keep the atime of directories recent. -m, --mtime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's mtime (modification time) instead of the atime. -c, --ctime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's ctime (inode change time) instead of the atime; for directories, make the decision based on the mtime. -M, --dirmtime Make the decision about deleting a directory based on the directory's mtime (modification time) instead of the atime; completely ignore atime for directories. -a, --all Remove all file types, not just regular files, symbolic links and directories. On systems where tmpwatch can remove unused sockets, make the decision only based on file times, ignoring possible use of the socket. -d, --nodirs Do not attempt to remove directories, even if they are empty. -f, --force Remove root-owned files even if root doesn't have write access (akin to rm -f). -l, --nosymlinks Do not attempt to remove symbolic links. -q, --quiet Report only fatal errors. -s, --fuser Attempt to use the "fuser" command to see if a file is already open before removing it. Not enabled by default. Does help in some circumstances, but not all. Dependent on fuser being installed in /sbin. Not supported on HP-UX or Solaris. -t, --test Don't remove files, but go through the motions of removing them. This implies -v. -U, --exclude-user=user Don't remove files owned by user, which can be an user name or numeric user ID. -v, --verbose Print a verbose display. Two levels of verboseness are available -- use this option twice to get the most verbose output. -x, --exclude=path Skip path; if path is a directory, all files contained in it are skipped too. If path does not exist, it must be an absolute path that contains no symbolic links. -X, --exclude-pattern=pattern Skip paths matching pattern; if a directory matches pattern, all files contained in it are skipped too. pattern must match an abso- lute path that contains no symbolic links. SEE ALSO
cron(1), ls(1), rm(1), fuser(1) AUTHORS
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution 2009-10-15 TMPWATCH(8)