Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting checking variable has value - ksh Post 302245249 by cesarNZ on Thursday 9th of October 2008 04:39:20 PM
Old 10-09-2008
checking variable has value - ksh

hi all,
i have a shell (ksh) script where i am reading line by line from a grep command and i wanted to check if the grep command actually returned something or was null. i can do this by using -z :

if [ -z "$myVariable" ]; then .....

but this forces me to do something when $myVariable is null when i would like to just move on to the next line. how do i do that ??

have tried if [ ! -z "$myVariable" ]; then .....

but it threw some errors.

many thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Checking if string has 2 characters and does not contain digits?

How could I check if a string variable contains at least (or only) 2 characters, and check and make sure that the string does not contain any numeric digits?...I need to know how to do this as simple as possible. and I am using the Ksh shell. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh Checking if variable has 5 digits

How could I check if a numeric variable has 5 digits in KSH...I have a zipcode variable that I know will always be 5 digits, and I want to print out an error if it is less or more than 5 digits the problem is that I have it as: if ] but this won't work because the statement doesn't see 0001 as... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

KSH Checking Previous Date**

How would I go about getting the previous date on the server? I'm out of ideas...I am thinking that I could do it using the date command, but I am unable to find any information on doing it. For example if the current date is April 17th 2008 it would be (20080417) <- (YYYYMMDD). I need the previous... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking the value of the variable

Does anyone know the quick way to check if the variable contains only numeric characters, for example: A=123445 - correct B=#f123* - incorrect I am in ksh88i Thanks a lot for help -A (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking ksh script syntax

To check a bash script syntax without executing it we use: bash -n scriptname What should be the equivalent command for checking a ksh script? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking the language variable

This is what I have just entered and received in return: # echo $LANG LANG: Undefined variable. How can this be? I was expecting something like en_US.utf8. Am using FreeBSD 8.2. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the variable in UNIX

Hi, I have a file abc.txt as ABC,TYU,1.2566 AHG,GJJ,1.898 hgh,FGA,1.854 My program is reading each line and storing the values variables base_cy, quo_cy, ra_amt Need to validate each of them as in: base_cy and quo_cy should be a 3 character alphabet among A-Z, if it is lower case ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: infyanurag
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking numeric expression in .ksh script

Gurus, Please need your help. I'm saving a filetimestamp into $filetimestamp and say....echo $filetimestamp gives 2015021612 I'm saving a cutoff_time into $cutoff_time say....echo $cutoff_time gives 2015021514 now my requirement is to check if $filetimestamp is greater than... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thummi9090
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh - Checking directory trees containing wild cards

Hi Can somebody please show me how to check from within a KSH script if a directory exists on that same host when parts of the directory tree are unknown? If these wildcard dirs were the only dirs at that level then ... RETCODE=$(ls -l /u01/app/oracle/local/*/* | grep target_dir) ... will... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
4 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)