Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LVM restore / recovery
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory LVM restore / recovery Post 302245158 by otheus on Thursday 9th of October 2008 01:21:44 PM
Old 10-09-2008
lvm RAID-1 recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zburatorul
No, I haven't done anything to it.

But how exactly do I mount lvm volumes without them being in a group? Does mounting do anything to the underlying devices as you ask?
No, I don't think so, unless you also striped across partitions. But I'm far from certain. The safe thing to do is go to the physical partiitions and try to fsck them with -n:

fsck -n /dev/hd3a

or whatever. Keep trying different superblocks until you get a hit. Also try LinuxQuestions.org, but make sure you direct your question to an advanced forum.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Data Recovery from file system overwritten with LVM.

Hey peeps, Here is somethin u might find interestin.... Is it possible to recover data from a partition which used to be an ext3 file sytem with some nice forgotten backups, which now is an lvm partion containg root partition of another OS. :) I couldn't create any mess better than this, can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

2. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

How to reduce LVM to create another LVM

Hi, I'm new to HP-UX. I have LVM on /var with 92Gig. I would like to reduce it to create another LVM for Oracle client with 800 meg or so. How to do it. I'm running 11.iv3 Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

LVM recovery, Hard disk broken

Hi I am new on your forum, because I need some help. I have a server with debian and proxmox 2. The HardDisk is broken. I am in rescue mode, and I can't mount LVM partition to recover my backups. What I've already done : # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes 255... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pppplu
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - restore metadata on other disk

Hi guys, I would like to ask your opinion about my theory, how to fix my broken LVM without risking any data loss. I use Archlinux at home. I just love this distro, even it gives me a lots of work (particularly after system updates). Basic system spec: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lyynxxx
1 Replies

7. Linux

LVM VG recovery

Hi all, I been trying to recover a volume group of single PV. vgcfgrestore output # vgcfgrestore vgoraData Couldn't find device with uuid 'a3onP5-RdbR-fdgq-sDkS-ZtFs-83Q5-kFJj43'. Cannot restore Volume Group vgoraData with 1 PVs marked as missing. Restore failed. fdisk output ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
1 Replies
VGREDUCE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       VGREDUCE(8)

NAME
vgreduce - reduce a volume group SYNOPSIS
vgreduce [-a|--all] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--removemissing] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName [Physi- calVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
vgreduce allows you to remove one or more unused physical volumes from a volume group. OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. -a, --all Removes all empty physical volumes if none are given on command line. --removemissing Removes all missing physical volumes from the volume group, if there are no logical volumes allocated on those. This resumes normal operation of the volume group (new logical volumes may again be created, changed and so on). If this is not possible (there are logical volumes referencing the missing physical volumes) and you cannot or do not want to remove them manually, you can run this option with --force to have vgreduce remove any partial LVs. Any logical volumes and dependent snapshots that were partly on the missing disks get removed completely. This includes those parts that lie on disks that are still present. If your logical volumes spanned several disks including the ones that are lost, you might want to try to salvage data first by acti- vating your logical volumes with --partial as described in lvm (8). SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgextend(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGREDUCE(8)