Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: max password is blank
Operating Systems Linux max password is blank Post 302245016 by otheus on Thursday 9th of October 2008 07:08:22 AM
Old 10-09-2008
This is a good question, because in fact, the pam_unix authentication module and corresponding helper program chkpwd are very unclear on how they handle things. If you do look at the pam_unix documentation (here, you'll find it has something like "broken_shadow", which allows the module to "succeed" if something in the shadow file is not right, such as an empty expiration time.

However, it seems like it worked even with "broken_shadow" disabled and an empty expiration time. The only way to know for sure is to look at the source code of the modules.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two blank line with a single blank line

Hi Guys, I have a file in which each set of records are separated by two blank line. I want to replace it with a single blank line. Can you guys help me out? Regards, Magesh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

2. Red Hat

max age password question

Hi All, I got a definition on /etc/login.defs PASS_MAX_DAYS 41 and on /etc/shadow, most of the user id fifth column (max age) is 40. Is that different policy or not? If it is the same policy, then the above policy don't match, right. Thanks for any comment you may add. Cheers,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete blank lines, if blank lines are more than one using shell

Hi, Consider a file named "testfile" The contents of file are as below first line added for test second line added for test third line added for test fourth line added for test fifth line added for test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil8103
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Blank Password (Solaris 10)

Hello, I have a doubt about the accounts. With a "grep" to file "shadow" get the accounts have no password: The output is: However, if I do a "su <bin, sys, etc>" request password. What is the true state of accounts? The file "shadow" are as follows: I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: musul
4 Replies

5. AIX

Change password to blank password

AIX 6.1 User has a password set. It needs to be a blank password (no password). smit passwd enter user name at change password and confirm password, just press ENTER Afterwards, I could not log on with blank password or with original password. How can I change the password to a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landog
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check Blank Lines, Blank Records and Junk Characters in a File

Hi All Need Help I have a file with the below format (ABC.TXT) : ®¿¿ABCDHEJJSJJ|XCBJSKK01|M|7348974982790 HDFLJDKJSKJ|KJALKSD02|M|7378439274898 KJHSAJKHHJJ|LJDSAJKK03|F|9898982039999 (cont......) I need to write a script where it will check for : blank lines (between rows,before... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split multiple blank, even if it's blank

Hello, I am trying to split : qvipari1 opcmsga OVO Message Agent AGENT,EA Aborted qvipbcarls02 opcmsga OVO Message Agent AGENT,EA Aborted qvipcac3 perfalarm Alarm generator ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
10 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Password sent via reset password email is 'weak' and won't allow me to change my password

I was unable to login and so used the "Forgotten Password' process. I was sent a NEWLY-PROVIDED password and a link through which my password could be changed. The NEWLY-PROVIDED password allowed me to login. Following the provided link I attempted to update my password to one of my own... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rich Marton
1 Replies
PAM_LOGINUID(8) 						 Linux-PAM Manual						   PAM_LOGINUID(8)

NAME
pam_loginuid - Record user's login uid to the process attribute SYNOPSIS
pam_loginuid.so [require_auditd] DESCRIPTION
The pam_loginuid module sets the loginuid process attribute for the process that was authenticated. This is necessary for applications to be correctly audited. This PAM module should only be used for entry point applications like: login, sshd, gdm, vsftpd, crond and atd. There are probably other entry point applications besides these. You should not use it for applications like sudo or su as that defeats the purpose by changing the loginuid to the account they just switched to. OPTIONS
require_auditd This option, when given, will cause this module to query the audit daemon status and deny logins if it is not running. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the session module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SESSION_ERR An error occurred during session management. EXAMPLES
#%PAM-1.0 auth required pam_unix.so auth required pam_nologin.so account required pam_unix.so password required pam_unix.so session required pam_unix.so session required pam_loginuid.so SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8), auditctl(8), auditd(8) AUTHOR
pam_loginuid was written by Steve Grubb <sgrubb@redhat.com> Linux-PAM Manual 04/01/2010 PAM_LOGINUID(8)