Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting for loop logic with multiple parameters Post 302245007 by otheus on Thursday 9th of October 2008 06:39:33 AM
Old 10-09-2008
Code:
for arg; do
  if is_num $arg; then

for num; do
   done

This looks like sh/ksh/bash scripting. The question is, what are "arg" and "num"?? is this in a shell function or is this found in the "main" part of the shell script?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parameters in loop

Hi, I am trying to write a script which will read inputs form user and process those files, I have issue reading the input parameters in a loop. Following is the script... I run the script as ./Script.sh 3 table1 table 2 table3 NumberOfTables=$1 let TableCount=1 while do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

While Loop Logic

I would need to with making while loop logic working in shell program when I am new into the shell programing 1) I would need to try to get the file from the remote side ----need to try 15 mins apart for 4 times and terminate the program if file is not available.... I would need to know how I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sambakamba
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash if loop for checking multiple parameters

Hello, I've got next problem: I want to examine at the beginning of a script in an if loop that: 1. Is there 4 parameters given 2. If first state is true then: is there switches -e and -d? 3. At the end, how can i indentify them as variebles regardlees to its order. I was thinking like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szittyafergeteg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop logic inside of an inline redirect?

i need to log the feedback from the ftp server as i'm performing some deletes. the only way i know of to do this is with the inline redirect << EOF ... but from there to the closing EOF, it's like i'm at the ftp command prompt, so I don't know how to have ksh script logic in there I have an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlavoie
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if then else logic with while loop problem

Hi Friends, I have to do write a shell file based on one flag.If that flag value is 'N' then process look in $DATA are and the normal process continue.If vaule is 'P' then it check for the files in different location $CONV and move those file in $DATA area and rest of the process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Param0073
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loop logic

Hi, Here I am trying to query database and check a value, if the value not matches then I wants to re-query the database.Once the value matches, I want to email the reqidstatus_log.txt file. Database query produces a file reqidstatus_log.txt which contains result. But the query not working as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajsp217
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell/Perl logic for loop

Hi, I have a requirement as follows. Have 3 files. Need to match up the data in each one of them and sum up the data by a field and display it. example given below. File 1 : Name, Emp id File 2 : Empid, Subject, File 3 : Subject, Score, Class Match Emp id in File 1 and File 2 and then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
7 Replies
break(1)							   User Commands							  break(1)

NAME
break, continue - shell built-in functions to escape from or advance within a controlling while, for, foreach, or until loop SYNOPSIS
sh break [n] continue [n] csh break continue ksh *break [n] *continue [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The break utility exits from the enclosing for or while loop, if any. If n is specified, break n levels. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosing for or while loop. If n is specified, resume at the n-th enclosing loop. csh The break utility resumes execution after the end of the nearest enclosing foreach or while loop. The remaining commands on the current line are executed. This allows multilevel breaks to be written as a list of break commands, all on one line. The continue utility continues execution of the next iteration of the nearest enclosing while or foreach loop. ksh The break utility exits from the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop, if any. If n is specified, then break n levels. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be exited. The continue utility resumes the next iteration of the enclosed for, while, until, or select loop. If n is specified then resume at the n- th enclosed loop. If n is greater than the number of enclosing loops, the outermost enclosing loop shall be used. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words that follow a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign, and also that word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh( 1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 break(1)