Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users emergency shutdown best practices. Post 302244752 by jsw371 on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 02:27:41 PM
Old 10-08-2008
Here in lies the problem. Our network security officer will not allow ssh as root. Also, we have many "flavors" of unix/linux which have different shutdown options. I tried something like this but it does not work on all the servers. (They do not like the <<\EOT...EOT construct)
$1 is list of remote servers. mbaker has sudo root privilege

cat $1 | while read X
do
echo "Starting shutdown of $X"
ssh -T ${X} << \EOT >> Emergency_shutdown.log 2>> error.log
name=`uname -n`
echo "name = $name"
type=`uname -a | awk '{print $1}'`
echo "type = $type"
if [ "$type" = "SunOS" ]
then
echo "Emergency shutdown initiated for $name."
# sudo -u root shutdown -y -i5 -g0 "Emergency shutdown started!!!!!" &
fi
if [ "$type" = "Linux" ]
then
echo "Emergency shutdown initiated for $name."
sudo -u root /sbin/shutdown -k now "This is just a test. Not really re-booting." < /dev/null > /dev/null 2>&1 &
fi
EOT
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
echo "Host $X connect failed."
fi
done
exit 0

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Emergency boot

I need to boot an OpenServer 5.0.5 server but I don't have emergency boot disks for it. There are some boot disks of other servers. Can I use these disks, changing defbootstr ?. How ?. The fact is that administrator can't login as root and it seems to be a corrupted auth system issue. Other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dags
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Emergency help with script!

I'm trying to write a script to push out to all our servers some Veritas add-ons. I want the script to push to all servers and if there server hardware matches the uname -i statement, it will install a additional add-on.. The script keeps giving me a error on line 29. Here is the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Emergency help with ubuntu

Hi guys i have some question about ubuntu(10.10) 1.what time scheduling & page replacement algorithm have been used in ubuntu 2.how to create a process 3.how to kill a process 4.how to send information to a process 5.how to see a process 6.how to increase priority of a process 7.how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mortez28
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Emergency !!!Help Please--- NFS

Hi Guru's, I am unable to mount NFS share on unix system (DG/UX) which is nfs client. Error: mount: /nfsshare: Invalid argument mount: giving up on: /mountpoint i tried following commands mount -t nfs remotehost:/nfsshare /mountpoint Error: mount: /nfsshare: Invalid... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Justin John
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Best practices

Dear all, Kinda lame question but i'd like to hear your experiences and advice. Question in short ----------------- What permission should a mount point "ideally" have - i think it's root. Ex:- /usr/app/ i'd set the app to be owned by root and within /usr/app i would create another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX emergency

can anyone please tell me that how can i boot unix from a cd? full procedure. it's an emergency. reply asap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niket agarwal
1 Replies

8. Linux

Virtualization best practices

Hello admins and gurus I have a controversial topic: now we are investing in a new Linux OS that will hold our Sybase database. The server will virtualized on a VMware server hosted on SAN storage. Now the question is, when we install the database engine is it better - in terms of performance -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies
shutdown(2)							System Calls Manual						       shutdown(2)

NAME
shutdown - Shuts down socket send and receive operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/socket.h> int shutdown ( int socket, int how ); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: shutdown(): XNS5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the file descriptor of the socket. Specifies the type of shutdown. Values are: To disable further receive operations To disable further send operations To disable further send operations and receive operations DESCRIPTION
The shutdown() function disables receive and/or send operations on the specified socket. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 (zero) is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If the shutdown() function fails, errno may be set to one of the following values: The socket parameter is not valid. The how argument is invalid. Insufficient resources are available in the system to complete the call. The available STREAMS resources were insufficient for the operation to complete. The socket is not connected. The socket parameter refers to a file, not a socket. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: getsockopt(2), read(2), recv(2), recvfrom(2), recvmsg(2), select(2), send(2), sendto(2), setsockopt(2), socket(2), write(2) Standards: standards(5) delim off shutdown(2)