Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users emergency shutdown best practices. Post 302244746 by avronius on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 02:16:42 PM
Old 10-08-2008
If you have more than 15 minutes to plan for "emergency shut down" of your servers, I'd recommend:

1. All applications that are running have corresponding startup and shutdown scripts in rc.*
2. Identify the order that your hosts should be shutdown in - NIS or LDAP should shutdown last, NFS servers second last... NTP would go first...
3. Write scripts.
You need to send a wall to all users connected informing them of an impending outage.
You need to ensure that you send the right shutdown options to the right OS types.
You need to create for each command that you are sending - for audit and CYA purposes later.
4. Inform your business/clients/users that these are the "emergency shutdown" procedures. Get them to sign-off and buy into them. If they have special requirements, amend your policy to include those.

Ensure that you have adequate time to shutdown storage devices that may have a great deal of data in cache. Ensure that you have adequate time to shutdown tape storage systems, as the robotics may need more time to get to "home" than you might expect.

There is no shortage of things that you could do, but this should get you started.

Last edited by avronius; 10-08-2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Grammer

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Emergency boot

I need to boot an OpenServer 5.0.5 server but I don't have emergency boot disks for it. There are some boot disks of other servers. Can I use these disks, changing defbootstr ?. How ?. The fact is that administrator can't login as root and it seems to be a corrupted auth system issue. Other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dags
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Emergency help with script!

I'm trying to write a script to push out to all our servers some Veritas add-ons. I want the script to push to all servers and if there server hardware matches the uname -i statement, it will install a additional add-on.. The script keeps giving me a error on line 29. Here is the script.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Emergency help with ubuntu

Hi guys i have some question about ubuntu(10.10) 1.what time scheduling & page replacement algorithm have been used in ubuntu 2.how to create a process 3.how to kill a process 4.how to send information to a process 5.how to see a process 6.how to increase priority of a process 7.how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mortez28
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Emergency !!!Help Please--- NFS

Hi Guru's, I am unable to mount NFS share on unix system (DG/UX) which is nfs client. Error: mount: /nfsshare: Invalid argument mount: giving up on: /mountpoint i tried following commands mount -t nfs remotehost:/nfsshare /mountpoint Error: mount: /nfsshare: Invalid... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Justin John
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Best practices

Dear all, Kinda lame question but i'd like to hear your experiences and advice. Question in short ----------------- What permission should a mount point "ideally" have - i think it's root. Ex:- /usr/app/ i'd set the app to be owned by root and within /usr/app i would create another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ossupport55
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX emergency

can anyone please tell me that how can i boot unix from a cd? full procedure. it's an emergency. reply asap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niket agarwal
1 Replies

8. Linux

Virtualization best practices

Hello admins and gurus I have a controversial topic: now we are investing in a new Linux OS that will hold our Sybase database. The server will virtualized on a VMware server hosted on SAN storage. Now the question is, when we install the database engine is it better - in terms of performance -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abohmeed
1 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown, poweroff -- close down the system at a given time SYNOPSIS
shutdown [-] [-h | -p | -r | -k] [-o [-n]] time [warning-message ...] poweroff DESCRIPTION
The shutdown utility provides an automated shutdown procedure for super-users to nicely notify users when the system is shutting down, saving them from system administrators, hackers, and gurus, who would otherwise not bother with such niceties. The following options are available: -h The system is halted at the specified time. -p The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware support required) at the specified time. -r The system is rebooted at the specified time. -k Kick everybody off. The -k option does not actually halt the system, but leaves the system multi-user with logins disabled (for all but super-user). -o If one of the -h, -p or -r options are specified, shutdown will execute halt(8) or reboot(8) instead of sending a signal to init(8). -n If the -o option is specified, prevent the file system cache from being flushed by passing -n to halt(8) or reboot(8). This option should probably not be used. time Time is the time at which shutdown will bring the system down and may be the case-insensitive word now (indicating an immediate shut- down) or a future time in one of two formats: +number, or yymmddhhmm, where the year, month, and day may be defaulted to the current system values. The first form brings the system down in number minutes and the second at the absolute time specified. +number may be specified in units other than minutes by appending the corresponding suffix: ``s'', ``sec'', ``m'', ``min''. ``h'', ``hour''. warning-message Any other arguments comprise the warning message that is broadcast to users currently logged into the system. - If '-' is supplied as an option, the warning message is read from the standard input. At intervals, becoming more frequent as apocalypse approaches and starting at ten hours before shutdown, warning messages are displayed on the terminals of all users logged in. Five minutes before shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is in less than 5 minutes, logins are dis- abled by creating /var/run/nologin and copying the warning message there. If this file exists when a user attempts to log in, login(1) prints its contents and exits. The file is removed just before shutdown exits. At shutdown time a message is written to the system log, containing the time of shutdown, the person who initiated the shutdown and the rea- son. The corresponding signal is then sent to init(8) to respectively halt, reboot or bring the system down to single-user state (depending on the above options). The time of the shutdown and the warning message are placed in /var/run/nologin and should be used to inform the users about when the system will be back up and why it is going down (or anything else). A scheduled shutdown can be canceled by killing the shutdown process (a SIGTERM should suffice). The /var/run/nologin file that shutdown created will be removed automatically. When run without options, the shutdown utility will place the system into single user mode at the time specified. Calling ``poweroff'' is equivalent to running: shutdown -p now FILES
/var/run/nologin tells login(1) not to let anyone log in EXAMPLES
Reboot the system in 30 minutes and display a warning message on the terminals of all users currently logged in: # shutdown -r +30 "System will reboot" COMPATIBILITY
The hours and minutes in the second time format may be separated by a colon (``:'') for backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
kill(1), login(1), wall(1), nologin(5), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8) HISTORY
The shutdown utility appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
December 15, 2014 BSD