Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris SF V240 HDD shows wrong capacity Post 302244723 by Perderabo on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 01:18:36 PM
Old 10-08-2008
I have seen this several times. It happens when you copy a 36 GB disk, vtoc and all, on to a 72 GB disk. The only way I know to go back is to scribble on the vtoc, then run format. format will see that the vtoc is garbage and will make a new one.

To scribble on the disk:

dd if=/bin/sh bs=512 count=4 of=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 # or whatever device you want to destroy

Note that you lose all data this way.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

V240 EPROM reset

Hello all, Does anyone know how to reset the ALOM password for Sun fire V240 or the OBP password? I was given a V240 without any password or hard drive. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: larryase
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Old HDD copy to new HDD ? im lost...

Over the last few months the HDD spins louder and louder, so I fiqured its time to replace the HDD. Its been running 24/7/365 since 98 :eek:. yes i said since 98 :D I have an IBM system 43P Model 240. 233 MHz. running AIX Version 4. The current HDD is an IBM DGHS COMP IEC -950 FRU PN#... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chevy89rocks
5 Replies

3. Solaris

sun v240 performance

Hi, we are having one sun v240 server, now this server is performing very slow, checked using top, iostat and vmstat commands, output is looking normal, but the performance is very slow and generating more traffic in network, how can we resolve this. Regards RJS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasekg
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Alom Sun V240

hallo anybody know how to set alom mail alerty server with yahoomail ? thank u?where i can find mail server address for yahoomail?thank (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanto85
1 Replies

5. Solaris

XIR failed at SF V240

Dear All, I have problem with SF V240 with solaris 10. This server always booting with error message like this What's problem with my server? Best Regards Wisnu:) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
10 Replies

6. Solaris

v240 -- wrong date

after shutting down the server and the ILOM/ALOM, its date seems to go back to 1977..rather than current date.. problem with battery on ILOM/ALOM ??:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Chroot sftp users, remote sftp login shows wrong timestamp on files

Hello, I have a weird issue, I have RHEL 5.7 running with openssh5.2 where sftpgroup OS group is chroot. I see the difference difference in timestamp on files, when I login via ssh and SFTP, I see four hour difference, is something missing in my configuration. #pwd... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby320
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

9. AIX

IBM AIX Internal HDD vs SAN HDD and Oracle

Hi Folks, I am facing an issue with the performance. P4 with 1 processor and 16 GB RAM and SAN HDD = Oracle report takes 25 minutes P5 with 2 processors and 16 GB RAM internall HDD with LPAR = Oracle Report takes 1 hour 15 minutes ( please note I have assigned all the max processors and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
7 Replies

10. AIX

FS capacity

can anyone tell me how to reduce Fs capacity by using echo zero. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkchand
3 Replies
efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)				    Extended Library Functions					  efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)

NAME
efi_alloc_and_init, efi_alloc_and_read, efi_free, efi_write - manipulate a disk's EFI Partition Table SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file... -lefi [ library ... ] #include <sys/vtoc.h> #include <sys/efi_partition.h> int efi_alloc_and_init(int fd, uint32_t nparts, dk_gpt_t **vtoc); int efi_alloc_and_read(int fd, dk_gpt_t **vtoc); void efi_free(dk_gpt_t *vtoc); int efi_write(int fd, dk_gpt_t *vtoc); DESCRIPTION
The efi_alloc_and_init() function initializes the dk_gpt_t structure specified by vtoc in preparation for a call to efi_write(). It calcu- lates and initializes the efi_version, efi_lbasize, efi_nparts, efi_first_u_lba, efi_last_lba, and efi_last_u_lba members of this sturcture. The caller can then set the efi_nparts member. The efi_alloc_and_read() function allocates memory and returns the partition table. The efi_free() function frees the memory allocated by efi_alloc_and_init() and efi_alloc_and_read(). The efi_write() function writes the EFI partition table. The fd argument refers to any slice on a raw disk, opened with O_NDELAY. See open(2). The nparts argument specifies the number of desired partitions. The vtoc argument is a dk_gpt_t structure that describes an EFI partition table and contains at least the following members: uint_t efi_version; /* set to EFI_VERSION_CURRENT */ uint_t efi_nparts; /* number of partitions in efi_parts */ uint_t efi_lbasize; /* size of block in bytes */ diskaddr_t efi_last_lba; /* last block on the disk */ diskaddr_t efi_first_u_lba; /* first block after labels */ diskaddr_t efi_last_u_lba; /* last block before backup labels */ struct dk_part efi_parts[]; /* array of partitions */ RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, efi_alloc_and_init() returns 0. Otherwise it returns VT_EIO if an I/O operation to the disk fails. Upon successful completion, efi_alloc_and_read() returns a positive integer indicating the slice index associated with the open file descriptor. Otherwise, it returns a negative integer to indicate one of the following: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_EINVAL An EFI label was not found. Upon successful completion, efi_write() returns 0. Otherwise, it returns a negative integer to indicate one of the following: VT_EIO An I/O error occurred. VT_ERROR An unknown error occurred. VT_EINVAL The label contains incorrect data. USAGE
The EFI label is used on disks with more than 1**32-1 blocks. For compatibility reasons, the read_vtoc(3EXT) and write_vtoc() functions should be used on smaller disks. The application should attempt the read_vtoc() or write_vtoc() call, check for an error of VT_ENOTSUP, then call the analogous EFI function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fmthard(1M), format(1M), prtvtoc(1M), ioctl(2), open(2), libefi(3LIB), read_vtoc(3EXT), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 23 Jul 2002 efi_alloc_and_init(3EXT)