Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parse a file for a special character Post 302244498 by zaxxon on Wednesday 8th of October 2008 03:46:33 AM
Old 10-08-2008
What do you want if it's commented out? The line itself? The line number?...

I'd suggest
Code:
man grep

or maybe have a look into awk, if you need more features.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Mount a character special file

Hi together I have 2 systems, mars and venus. The configuration is the same. Every system has a SDLT. I will now backup the datas from mars on the tapedevice from venus. I have shareed the tapedevice (venus) and mounted on mars. Now my problem: when I write on the mountet tapedevice, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MuellerUrs
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file.please give the required commands for my requirement. thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a special character in file

hi i want to delete a particular character in file. example file name:abcsample abc=bbbqw3/ hidh=ajjqiwio4/ xyx=hakjp/ ........../ ......./ i want to delete that special character (/) in abcsample file Permnently.please give the required commands for my requirement. required... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Special character in my file

I have a special character in my file. It displays as a '#' sign but when I do this command I do not find the line. fgrep 'G#ant' file1 I want to replace the special character with another value but I need to know what character it really is. Any ideas on how to replace this '#' value with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan2786
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

parse special character in the line

Hi all, I have a file with some module names as below. Font::AFM Data::Grove ---> libxml-perl Net::LDAP ---> perl-ldap DBI XML .... ... .... and so on ... The file has some lines with the character " -->" . Now how can I cut only the last column of the line wherever "-->" is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Special Character from File.

Hi, My file has this special character "^M" I would like to remove this characters. eg: abc,abc,^M i tried using sed but doesnt work. i used octal dump command to see special character it returns following: 015 \r Appreciate your reply. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special character ($) from file names

Hello I've searched here and on the 'net for examples of a script or command line function that will remove the $ character from all file names only that can be done within the directory that contains the file names - which are all html files. ie, I have a directory that contains html files... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: competitions
6 Replies

8. Programming

Problem with control file and special character

I am getting error when loading data file using ctl file. I get this error only when there is special character. Below is some data. DataFile=> company_id|ciu_id|english_name|iso_country_code|active|partner_name 1-2JT-122||Expert Järvenpää|FI|A|Expert Järvenpää Control File=> LOAD DATA... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rshivarkar
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Special character ^@ in CSV file

All, I am having a tough time with Linux and CSV file. My CSV file gets generated from Cognos on Linux machine that contains special characters. At first instance when I do vi <filename> to that file, I can't see anything. I did tail -2 and redirected to another temp file and did vi <filename>,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: donadarsh
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)