Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help with awk in printing the fields in a file Post 302244022 by sais on Tuesday 7th of October 2008 03:24:49 AM
Old 10-07-2008
i am getting the following error. can you please help?

> awk '{sub( /^[^ \t]+[ \t]+/,""); print}' 21CP
+ awk {sub( /^[^ \t]+[ \t]+/,""); print} 21CP
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: illegal statement near line 1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing select fields in awk

Hi, I want to print certain fields from my data file depending on certain conditions. Somebody pls let me know how to send it to awk. The command below is the one which I want to use in a shell script and this prints fine cat ./datafile.dat | grep -i $SEARCH_STR | awk -F: '{ print $1 $2 $3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverix
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - printing certain fields when field order changes in data file

I'm hoping someone can help me on this. I have a data file that greatly simplified might look like this: sec;src;dst;proto 421;10.10.10.1;10.10.10.2;tcp 426;10.10.10.3;10.10.10.4;udp 442;10.10.10.5;10.10.10.6;tcp sec;src;fac;dst;proto 521;10.10.10.1;ab;10.10.10.2;tcp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric4
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing First Three Fields

Hello, I have several files in the following format: 1*2,3,4,5 And I wish to only print the first three fields, including the special characters '*' and ','. I have used awk to print fields before, but I do not know how to do it to include the delimiters, and how you can do it with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jahn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to automate printing all fields twice?

Hi, I'm looking for a clever way to print all columns of a matrix twice using a for loop and NF I think. So instead of awk -F "," '{print $1 " " $1 " " $2 " " $2...} I can do something like awk -F "," '{for (i,i<=NF,i++) (print $i... So I get something like A1,A2,A3 B1,B2,B3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print 1st field and last 2 fields together and the rest of the fields after it using awk?

Hi experts, I need to print the first field first then last two fields should come next and then i need to print rest of the fields. Input : a1,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk,b1,b2 a2,acb,dfg,ghj,b3,c4 a3,djf,wdjg,fkg,dff,ggk,d4,d5 Expected output: a1,b1,b2,abc,jsd,fhf,fkk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 100bees
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sort based on difference of fields and print all fields

Hi I have a file as below <field1> <field2> <field3> ... <field_num1> <field_num2> Trying to sort based on difference of <field_num1> and <field_num2> in desceding order and print all fields. I tried this and it doesn't sort on the difference field .. Appreciate your help. cat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newstart
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Selective printing of fields

Hi Gurus, I have following input file. I tried multiple awk combinations to print selected columns without success. HEX ID Name ver FLRGT Start Time Total Shared End Date ----- -------- --- ------ ------------------------ -------------- -------... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Continued trouble matching fields in different files and selective field printing ([g]awk)

I apologize in advance, but I continue to have trouble searching for matches between two files and then printing portions of each to output in awk and would very much appreciate some help. I have data as follows: File1 PS012,002 PRQ 0 1 1 17 1 0 -1 3 2 1 2 -1 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to clean up input file, printing both fields

In the f1 file below I am trying to clean it up removing lines the have _tn_ in them. Next, removing the characters in $2 before the ninth /. Then I remove the ID_(digit- always 4). Finally, the charcters after and including the first _. It is curently doing most of it but the cut is removing $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)