Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Removing spaces...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Removing spaces... Post 302243831 by lost on Monday 6th of October 2008 04:01:59 PM
Old 10-06-2008
Removing spaces...

Hey,
I'm using the command from this thread https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-que...into-line.html
to convert vertical lines to horzontal lines. But I need to remove the spaces that is created. Unfortunately I can't figure out where the space is in the code..

I have:
A
B
C
I need:
ABC

THANKS!!
I have tried to look around for a similar thread/code but cant find it. Hope it's not already out there.
Also I can't post to the original thread since it's a closed (?) post.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces in a file

I have output a file and need to remove blank spaces in the first lines only so the file is left end justified. I need to do this while keeping the rest of the file intact. Example of file that needs spaces removed: space space space space space space space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tioray
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing spaces from variables?

I stored results like this VAR=`wc -l < ls.txt` But the value of the wc gave me a padded number. How do I strip the padding from $VAR? Do you think I could use SED? Except instead of a file input, have a variable redirection input? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces after sperator

Hi friends i have problem 6000000001| CDC049| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000002| CDC033| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000003| CDC037| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000004| CDC031| ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu_vaka
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces at particular position

I have a file with delimiter ~ ABC~12~43~TR ~890~poi~YU ~56~65 What I want is to remove spaces from column 4,7 and other columns as it is So, the final file becomes ABC~12~43~TR~890~poi~YU~56~65 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces

hey.. i had a problem with the unix command when i want to remove the white spaces in a string..i guess i cud do it with a sed command but i get an error when i give space in the square brackets.. string="nh hjh llk" p=`echo $string | sed 's/ //g'` i donno how to give space charater and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahithi_khushi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from data

Hi, I want to remove spaces from data. Data is: 1,aa ,21, 22 2,a a ,23 ,24 3, ,25 ,26 output should be: 1,aa,21,22 2,a a,23,24 3, ,25,26 i.e i have to remove leading and trailing spaces.Not the space between data and also i dont want to remove the space if data is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces within Filename

Hello, I have a Folder (myfile) which contain the following files: P$12789865KR +N+01+OM+16102009165416.nu P$M1-508962GD +N+01+ALP+14102009094417.nu Is there a sed command(s) that will loop through this folder and remove the spaces that exists in the filename? Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for removing spaces

HI, I have a file with lot of blank lines, how can I remove those using awk?? Thanks, Shruthi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blanks, spaces

I have pipe separated file with lots of blank spaces. After using sed -e 's/ *| */|/g' this command ,its giving me output as TT0000013101640| HCAMBLAMCNB010|Jul 3 2012 11:14AM| HARYANA| Bangali Mohalla | TCL-UBR|9368040005|9355264655|9218509220|NULL ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sususa
5 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - Compares two files and displays the differences in a side-by-side format SYNOPSIS
sdiff [-l | -s] [-w number] [-o output_file] file1 file2 The sdiff command reads file1 and file2, uses diff to compare them, and writes the results to standard output in a side-by-side format. OPTIONS
Displays only the left side when lines are identical. Creates a third file, output_file, by a controlled interactive line-by-line merging of file1 and file2. The following subcommands govern the creation of this file: Adds the left side to output_file. Adds the right side to output_file. Stops displaying identical lines. Begins displaying identical lines. Enters ed with the left side, the right side, both sides, or an empty file, respectively. Each time you exit from ed, sdiff writes the resulting edited file to the end of output_file. If you fail to save the changes before exiting, sdiff writes the initial input to output_file. Exits the interactive session. Suppresses display of identical lines. Sets the width of the output line to number (130 characters by default). DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command displays each line of the two files with a series of spaces between them if the lines are identical, a < (left angle bracket) in the field of spaces if the line only exists in file1, a > (right angle bracket) if the line only exists in file2, and a | (ver- tical bar) for lines that are different. When you specify the -o option, sdiff produces a third file by merging file1 and file2 according to your instructions. Note that the sdiff command invokes the diff -b command to compare two input files. The -b option causes the diff command to ignore trail- ing spaces, tab characters, and consider other strings of spaces as equal. EXAMPLES
To print a comparison of two files, enter: sdiff chap1.bak chap1 This displays a side-by-side listing that compares each line of chap1.bak and chap1. To display only the lines that differ, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 chap1.bak chap1 This displays the differences at the tty. The -w 80 sets page width to 80 columns. The -s option tells sdiff not to display lines that are identical in both files. To selectively combine parts of two files, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 -o chap1.combo chap1.bak chap1 This combines chap1.bak and chap1 into a new file called chap1.combo. For each group of differing lines, sdiff asks you which group to keep or whether you want to edit them using ed. SEE ALSO
Commands: diff(1), ed(1) sdiff(1)