Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to extract multiple files from tape Post 302243691 by goude on Monday 6th of October 2008 09:49:10 AM
Old 10-06-2008
Can you please tell me an easy way to do that?Smilie
I am not good with scripting.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract multiple cloumns from multiple files; skip rows and include filenames; awk

Hello, I am trying to write a bash shell script that does the following: 1.Finds all *.txt files within my directory of interest 2. reads each of the files (25 files) one by one (tab-delimited format and have the same data format) 3. skips the first 10 rows of the file 4. extracts and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with post:extract multiple columns from multiple files

hello, I will would be grateful if anyone can help me reply to my post extract multiple cloumns from multiple files; skip rows and include filenames; awk Please see this thread. Thanks manishabh (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manishabh
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK, extract data from multiple files

Hi, I'm using AWK to try to extract data from multiple files (*.txt). The script should look for a flag that occurs at a specific position in each file and it should return the data to the right of that flag. I should end up with one line for each file, each containing 3 columns:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Liverpaul09
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using AWK: Extract data from multiple files and output to multiple new files

Hi, I'd like to process multiple files. For example: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Each file contains several lines of data. I want to extract a piece of data and output it to a new file. file1.txt ----> newfile1.txt file2.txt ----> newfile2.txt file3.txt ----> newfile3.txt Here is... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk, extract last line of multiple files

Hi, I have a directory full of *.txt files. I would like to print the last line of every file to screen. I know you can use FNR for printing the first line of each file, but how do I access the last line of each file? This code doesn't work, it only prints the last line of the last file:BEGIN... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract columns from multiple files with a file name as heading

Hi All, I have 7 files, each containing 9 columns separated by space. I want to extract the 9th columns from every file and save in a new file. The columns must be pasted next to each other. And the title of each columns should be the name of the corresponding files! Since the 3rd column is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract common data out of multiple files

I am trying to extract common list of Organisms from different files For example I took 3 files and showed expected result. In real I have more than 1000 files. I am aware about the useful use of awk and grep but unaware in depth so need guidance regarding it. I want to use awk/ grep/ cut/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: macmath
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, and extract items that are common to ALL files only

I have this code awk 'NR==FNR{a=$1;next} a' file1 file2 which does what I need it to do, but for only two files. I want to make it so that I can have multiple files (for example 30) and the code will return only the items that are in every single one of those files and ignore the ones... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data in tabular format from multiple files

Hi, I have directory with multiple files from which i need to extract portion of specif lines and insert it in a new file, the new file will contain a separate columns for each file data. Example: I need to extract Value_1 & Value_3 from all files and insert in output file as below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: belalr
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restore files from tape with multiple positions

I have lots of tapes where files got written to X amount of positions per tape. Is there a way to restore all files on the tape regardless of position ID? Right now to restore files in the first position I do mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1 tar -xvf /dev/nst0 I'd really like if there was a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: whegra
3 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - tape archiver SYNOPSIS
tar [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores files on magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters containing at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specify- ing which files are to be dumped or restored. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirec- tories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the end of the tape. The c function implies this. x The named files are extracted from the tape. If the named file matches a directory whose contents had been written onto the tape, this directory is (recursively) extracted. The owner, modification time, and mode are restored (if possible). If no file argument is given, the entire content of the tape is extracted. Note that if multiple entries specifying the same file are on the tape, the last one overwrites all earlier. t The names of the specified files are listed each time they occur on the tape. If no file argument is given, all of the names on the tape are listed. u The named files are added to the tape if either they are not already there or have been modified since last put on the tape. c Create a new tape; writing begins on the beginning of the tape instead of after the last file. This command implies r. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. The default is 1. v Normally tar does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. w causes tar to print the action to be taken followed by file name, then wait for user confirmation. If a word beginning with `y' is given, the action is performed. Any other input means don't do it. f causes tar to use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of /dev/mt?. If the name of the file is `-', tar writes to standard output or reads from standard input, whichever is appropriate. Thus, tar can be used as the head or tail of a filter chain Tar can also be used to move hierarchies with the command cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar xf -) b causes tar to use the next argument as the blocking factor for tape records. The default is 1, the maximum is 20. This option should only be used with raw magnetic tape archives (See f above). The block size is determined automatically when reading tapes (key letters `x' and `t'). l tells tar to complain if it cannot resolve all of the links to the files dumped. If this is not specified, no error messages are printed. m tells tar to not restore the modification times. The mod time will be the time of extraction. FILES
/dev/mt? /tmp/tar* DIAGNOSTICS
Complaints about bad key characters and tape read/write errors. Complaints if enough memory is not available to hold the link tables. BUGS
There is no way to ask for the n-th occurrence of a file. Tape errors are handled ungracefully. The u option can be slow. The b option should not be used with archives that are going to be updated. The current magtape driver cannot backspace raw magtape. If the archive is on a disk file the b option should not be used at all, as updating an archive stored in this manner can destroy it. The current limit on file name length is 100 characters. TAR(1)