Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Understanding a diff file
Operating Systems Linux Understanding a diff file Post 302243499 by Ygor on Monday 6th of October 2008 01:29:50 AM
Old 10-06-2008
Perhaps try sdiff

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff part of file

Hello experts, I have 2 files file1: lalalala good file file2: lblblblb good file these two files are the same in my test case, how can I start compare after certain number of characters? or is there a better way to do this? Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
5 Replies

3. HP-UX

Understanding File System

Hey guys im confused with the difference of these filesystems /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin. They all look like the same. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbn
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simulate SVN diff using plain diff

Hi, svn diff does not work very well with 2 local folders, so I am trying to do this diff using diff locally. since there's a bunch of meta files in an svn directory, I want to do a diff that excludes everything EXCEPT *.java files. there seems to be only an --exclude option, so I'm not sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ackbarr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need diff understanding :)

Can someone tell me where i'm going wrong if ; then set outPut = diff "$file1" "$file2" | wc -l echo $file1 $file2; echo "$outPut" if ;then echo " "$file1" and "$file2" " v fi fi This is the following result: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: taiL
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

.procmailrc and uudeview (put attachments from diff senders to diff folders)

Moderator, please, delete this topic (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optik77
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

serach diff filename in diff location using shell scripting

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. please help me to find out the solution. I need a script where we need to read the text file(consists of all file names) and get the file names one by one and append the date suffix for each file name as 'yyyymmdd' . Then search each file if exists... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky123
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Understanding File System

Can anybody provide me some good articles / links which will help me understand linux file system internals? I want to understand how a file when accessed from user mode through its file name resolves to particular memory location on memory. Where does the super, dentry and inodes come into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need little help in understanding UNIX file system.

statement 1 : I see everyone saying Unix follows a tree like hierarchial structure. Statement 2: Unix file system has four blocks 1.boot block 2.super block 3.inodes 4.data block My question is , in which of the above four blocks , the hierarchial structure comes.?? How could we corelate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narendra Eliset
2 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - side-by-side difference program SYNOPSIS
[options ...] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
uses the output of diff(1) with the option, which ignores trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) and treats other strings of blanks as equal, to produce a side-by-side listing of two files, indicating those lines that are different. Each line of the two files is printed with a blank gutter between them if the lines are identical, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file1, a in the gutter if the line only exists in file2, and a for lines that are different. For example: abc | xyz abc abc bca < cba < dcb dcb > cde Options recognizes the following options: Use the next argument, n, as the width of the output line. The maximum value of n is 2048 (LINE_MAX). The default line length is 130 charac- ters. Only print on the left side when lines are identical. Do not print identical lines. Use the next argument, output, as the name of a third file that is created as a user-controlled merging of file1 and file2. Identical lines of file1 and file2 are copied to output. Sets of differences, as produced by diff(1), are printed; where a set of differ- ences share a common gutter character. After printing each set of differences, prompts the user with a and waits for one of the following user-typed commands: append the left column to the output file append the right column to the output file turn on silent mode; do not print identical lines turn off silent mode call the editor with the left column call the editor with the right column call the editor with the concatenation of left and right call the editor with a zero length file exit from the program On exit from the editor, the resulting file is concatenated on the end of the output file. EXAMPLES
Print a side-by-side diff of two versions of a file on a printer capable of printing 132 columns: Retrieve the most recently checked in version of a file from RCS and compare it with the version currently checked out: SEE ALSO
diff(1), ed(1). sdiff(1)